• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What goes wrong in your dojo?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

As in every type of family situation... communication is very important.

Situations such as "mistreatment" ... or any issues of any kind should be communicated to the owner/instructer of the dojo at once .... the sooner the better. If left unattended usually the "situation" gets out of hand or develops into other issues.

There is always the subject of being too disciplined by way of instruction or not enough ...

Communication ideed. My sensei is quite mad because I ask thousands of questons. Fortunatelly he is glad I'm so concerned with all this stuff and he answers all my questions. As for those regarding the exams ... ask as many as possible. They have to tell you everything, because it should be no secret :D

At the university club, at the beginning of each term, we are inundated with students (many bearing "black belts") from McDojos who join the club,m then become miffed that they must either:

a: Re-learn basic technique,or...

b: go elsewhere.

Let me explain that the Baltimore/DC area is rife with McDojos that have cranked out thousands (it seems) of 15 year old "blackbelts" with little skill or understanding of technique. Compouonding this is that the school emphasizes proper techniquy as a martial art, not as competition, or aerobics! This proves frustrating for some. On the other hand, those who haev stayed have become competent martial artists.

The quality of "product" if you will, that has been turned out by these other schools hasincluded a "red belt" who was shocked at being corrected for chewing gum in class, a "blue belt" who has no discernable stances, adn who cannot reproduce side kicks or roundhouse kicks, and numerous others who, apparently, have never been corrected during practice. One then wastes preciouos time after class explaining that If I, or any of the rest of the cadre corrects you, it isn't because we areangry with you, or that you are a bad person, but that we wish to help you to improve your technique.

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

Luckly in our dojo, we dont have any of these problems. In Ki Aikido you are not aloud to take your dan grade before 18. If someone from another Aikido system came to us and was not upto standard, I am sure Sensei would have no trouble taking them down a few grades.

Take Care

In our federation it's the same about getting a Shodan rank. Those newbies in our dojo expect to promote woth the others in december. I guess they'll be a little disapointed, because sensei didn't tell them to wear a white belt when coming to his dojo, but will make sure they really deserve their next rank :)

We have some new arrivals in our dojo too. A green belt who doesn't know the difference between hidari and migi (left and right) ... and others who lack knowledge in "basics". How the h...ll did they get promoted?

As has been demonstrated in other threads, the way a commercial school survives is by generating enough income to survive. If you are running a large school (i.e: a McDojo, complete with fancy (and expensive) carpeting, shower rooms, and a "pro-shop (courtesy of Century :) )" you need the numbers. In order to get those numbers, usually children with affluent parents, to pay huge fees for "black belt clubs" and "Master's clubs" the LAST thing you want to do, if you expect them to keep paying, is to correct them, or fail to promote them at short intervals! If you can collect a few hundred dollars in test fees each time, as well, even better!

To be fair, students at these schools often have great self-esteem (I'm a master at life! is the slogan of aschool close to where I live), sice they receive tons of positive re-inforcement and no negative re-inforcement. they just receive no martial arts training, and often can't fight their way out of a paper bag!

Should the owner of a McDojo fail to promote little timmy ("all of the other 6th graders are 8th dans, why isn't my son one yet?") rest assured the parent will find a school that will!

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

who doesn't know the difference between hidari and migi (left and right)

In all honesty, I wouldn't have known the difference either and I've got my 1st Kyu in Shotokan. That doesn't mean my technique or teaching was bad, just that things were done in English for simplicity sakes. As my Aki Ju-Jitsu sensei says: "We aren't in Japan, so why go by the Japanese names for the techniques?"