• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

New York City

LLLEARNER

I may be in NYC the middle of next week. I will be traveling on Tuesday, coming back Friday. I was wondering what might be going on MA-wise that I could see or do.

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know." ~ Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

If you like to grapple at all, Marcello Garcia's mothership school is in NYC. He's very welcoming to students who come in to train and has a reputation for rolling with them if at all possible.

I might look into that. BJJ looks fun.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. I did make it to New York, and I did make it to class. I tried to get in with Marcello Garcia, but, he did not have a class appropriate for my skill level available. They recommended the Renzo Gracie Academy at 224 W 30th St. It was the last morning we were going to be in NY. So I got up at 0545 and walked the .6 mile and arrived about 40 min early. So after standing outside for approx 30 min I noticed that the proper door to use was not the obvious one, but the brass one. After signing the waiver and letting me use a house gi (it was clean) I joined class. After a brief warm up of light jogging, side-shuffling, shrimping, ukemi and push ups the white belts went to a separate room. This was a blast. The instructors were all top notch, attentive and genuinely wanted to teach. My only complaint which may not even be a real complaint as it seems normal in NY was the lack of air conditioning. I was sweating like a beast, and not just from the workout. But that was most places we went. Based on my experience I would recommend this school to anyone. If I had not been leaving in the early afternoon I would have tried to stay the whole day. They off BJJ, Muay Tai and a couple other disciplines. They charge a flat monthly rate for all the training you want.

Just an update. I did make it to New York, and I did make it to class. I tried to get in with Marcello Garcia, but, he did not have a class appropriate for my skill level available. They recommended the Renzo Gracie Academy at 224 W 30th St. It was the last morning we were going to be in NY. So I got up at 0545 and walked the .6 mile and arrived about 40 min early. So after standing outside for approx 30 min I noticed that the proper door to use was not the obvious one, but the brass one. After signing the waiver and letting me use a house gi (it was clean) I joined class. After a brief warm up of light jogging, side-shuffling, shrimping, ukemi and push ups the white belts went to a separate room. This was a blast. The instructors were all top notch, attentive and genuinely wanted to teach. My only complaint which may not even be a real complaint as it seems normal in NY was the lack of air conditioning. I was sweating like a beast, and not just from the workout. But that was most places we went. Based on my experience I would recommend this school to anyone. If I had not been leaving in the early afternoon I would have tried to stay the whole day. They off BJJ, Muay Tai and a couple other disciplines. They charge a flat monthly rate for all the training you want.

Awesome to hear! Glad you had a great time. Certainly you can't go wrong with Renzo's place!

Glad that you had a great time! I was in NYC on Thursday and Friday and pretty close to you, too! Hahaha. I think I walked by that academy.

Awesome! If you ever get the chance I recommend a chance. The Marcello Garcia Academy is in the same area too.

NYC... my dream

I would not want to live in NYC, although I can see the appeal. My only complaint and I am not sure if I can really complain as it seemed to be how most places were. The lack of air conditioning. Unless there was a product that would suffer from excessive heat everywhere seemed not to really bother with AC.

• 3 months later...

In the same spirit of my trip to New York, I now need to decide on a trip for my 40th birthday. While I do not particularly care about my age (it is a number after all), the other half wants to take me on a trip for my 40th in November. I know she is thinking somewhere tropical. I would be happy with staying home with my family. I also have committed to myself that when the opportunity to travel presents itself, that I would train in something I do not normally have the opportunity to otherwise. Even if it is just an intro class. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for budget friendly travel near dojos. I know she wants something tropical and taking a 6-year-old (our girl spawn) will also be desired. For the record, I train in Shotokan with Judo and Jujitsu mixed in and I have done 1 intro class to BJJ.