• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

knife defence seminars in the dojo

Alan Armstrong

I'm sure that martial arts has saved my life, perhaps more than once.
Mine too sir, mine too.

I think that we are both taking different roads up the same mountain here.

I was, I don't remember how old for sure but I was in grade 5 in the US if that helps, walking home with my younger sister, when a couple of young boys decided that me and most especially her, would be great targets for assault and perhaps worse, I never got the chance to find out. I told my sister to run and I turned and fought.

Fast forward a few years and by the time I am 16, I am a bouncer and doorman in an all night facility, throwing drunk and high grown men out. I still remember the night we all got in to the brawl in the parking lot and the local PD showed up with a tactical team. BTW, CS spray STINGS... and yes knives SUCK.

Then, at 18 the woman that I thought I loved died and I realized that if I didn't make some different choices, I was going to end up the same so I went to college, started working white collar jobs, and these days do martial arts for fun, fitness, and historical research.

I understand violence, grew up in a violent place and with sometimes violent people, but thanks to my own life choices, it has been more than 7 years since I have had to use force in a non-controlled environment.

I definitely respect where you are coming from, and I understand why you might want to make a different choice than me, I just want to make sure that there are different perspectives in the conversation.

Think first, act second, and stop getting the two confused.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Tempest, the same mountain. Perspectives and contexts may differ but exchanging points of views and experiences are very much appreciated.

With this topic and thread, my aim or intent was to refocus on knife self (hand held weapns) defense.

As many alternative ways of defending from knife attacks, are not part of traditional dojo methods or styles.