• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How many of you have actual combat experience?

hmmm...my only fight was at around 5th grade. I ended throwing another kid over a bench (which he did not appreciate) and he promtly got up and slammed my head into the wall which I countered by curling into the fetal position and crying...

...I have since gone into training in the Chinese mountainside to train for our next encounter and regain my honor :karate:

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't say "combat" but I have used several techniques in situtations over the years both in law enforcement and nursing. Some of those little old ladies can be tough!!!!!

8)

"A Black Belt is only the beginning."

Heidi-A student of the arts

Tae Kwon Do,Shotokan,Ju Jitsu,Modern Arnis

http://the100info.tumblr.com/

Anyone on the forums use their martial arts training in actual combat in Iraq, Afghanistan, or elsewhere?

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

Anyone on the forums use their martial arts training in actual combat in Iraq, Afghanistan, or elsewhere?

Yes. Iraq. Not conventional hand to hand, but alot of basic holdowns during search & seizure. Additionally, I trained my squad about zanshin to ensure we were less likely to be attacked while on the road.

"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenius."

I wasn't on the ground, only in the air. The only time I had to use mine was killing snakes in the cockpit getting back aboard the ship at night. :)

I wasn't on the ground, only in the air. The only time I had to use mine was killing snakes in the cockpit getting back aboard the ship at night. :)

I can't help but think of the opening escape scene from Indiana Jones.

While I have never been in a real fight where the intention was to hurt the other individual as much as possible (well...since 5th grade as mentioned), I have seen a few go down. There were alot of haymakers and shoving.....which is why if you are shoved be ready for the guy to throw a punch IMO (or just beat him to it with something else). to be honest, I stay out of trouble and don't talk trash, so any fights I get into are usually for fun and consensual with the set purpose of sparring, not trying to KO the other person.

Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.

~Theodore Roosevelt

Bingo! Me too. I am a family man and a senior officer in the Navy. I don't get in fights.

• 1 month later...
Bingo! Me too. I am a family man and a senior officer in the Navy. I don't get in fights.

Awesome, Sir. I was an HM2, 1971-75.

Unfortunately, I have been in many street fights (last one over 20 years ago). My 'record' was probably about 46-2. That was before CMA training. Now, I find that TMA has given me many more options and so much more confidence (vs. larger opponents, multiple opponents, disadvantaged positions, etc.); this in turn allows me to not feel I have to prove anything, and so prevents violence. People often comment on how calm I am. That's partly form CMA. So, CMA=confident, calm demeanor=nonviolence.

'Do not do injury, if you can possibly avoid it.' --Tielo, 6th Century

'A man, as long as he teaches, learns.' -- Seneca

Rock and roll, hoochie koo. Glad to know ya, HM2. I like the wisdom of being older, too. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I'm a fromer bar manager/bouncer and have been a Correctional Officer for the past 5 years. I would estimate that i have been in at least 300 physical confrontations in my 28 years. My training in Jeet Kune Do, BJJ and San Shou has helped me tremendously in these aspects. Most of these altercations end once you ground some one, or simply twist them up in a painful lock of some sort. However there does come a time when one simply has to "knuckle up" and throw down. I have no doubt that my training helps me keep my pretty,pretty face. :D

this might be a little out of context, but just out of curiosity, how much do you use kicking compared to punching?