• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How many of you have actual combat experience?

I like your method, Jiffy. It echos the way I feel about self-defense.

The only problem with having one good block is that it only stops one technique. It is good to know how to duck, slip, and evade attacks as well.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolutely agree, however one block doesn't just stop one technique. It can stop an entire fight situation. If a practitioner is skilled in blocking, they can easily find ways to translate a block into an attack, during or right after or right before they complete it. This sometimes may be more effective in close quarters.

Or perhaps blocking with one hand and punching with the other, there are endless possibilities, it's often mistaken that blocking jams up or wastes movement, when really it is adapting to a difficult situation to attack. Not only that, but a proper block ( from my experiance) should doesn't leave venerable targets because if it does, then the block was over used or extended...unless there is another goal.

It was said earlier that a block has limited effectiveness, and that’s true for the most part, but it defitnaly shouldn't be dismissed as extra training.

I think what Jiffy and bushido_man96 said was good advice, as some people tend to fall into exactly what they said.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

I absolutely agree, however one block doesn't just stop one technique. It can stop an entire fight situation. If a practitioner is skilled in blocking, they can easily find ways to translate a block into an attack, during or right after or right before they complete it. This sometimes may be more effective in close quarters.

Or perhaps blocking with one hand and punching with the other, there are endless possibilities, it's often mistaken that blocking jams up or wastes movement, when really it is adapting to a difficult situation to attack. Not only that, but a proper block ( from my experiance) should doesn't leave venerable targets because if it does, then the block was over used or extended...unless there is another goal.

It was said earlier that a block has limited effectiveness, and that’s true for the most part, but it defitnaly shouldn't be dismissed as extra training.

I think what Jiffy and bushido_man96 said was good advice, as some people tend to fall into exactly what they said.

I understand what you are saying, Menjo, and I agree with you. However, I feel that many people are misled into thinking that self-defense is encompassed by one big block, and one counter technique, and don't think about continuation, like the other punch that is coming in right behind the first, or the fact that the first was just a feint. I just don't see it happening this way, even with someone who is inexperienced. I know that most martial artists don't think this way, either, but it is the perception that is given to others that causes the problem.

I understand what you are saying, Menjo, and I agree with you. However, I feel that many people are misled into thinking that self-defense is encompassed by one big block, and one counter technique, and don't think about continuation, like the other punch that is coming in right behind the first, or the fact that the first was just a feint. I just don't see it happening this way, even with someone who is inexperienced. I know that most martial artists don't think this way, either, but it is the perception that is given to others that causes the problem.

Yeah, for sure. Thats an exellent point, I was just throwing an idea out there that I thought about the subject.

I wish I could have gotten that point across like that, but I just added that to cover another extreme in blocking misconception.

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

Yeah, for sure. Thats an exellent point, I was just throwing an idea out there that I thought about the subject.

I wish I could have gotten that point across like that, but I just added that to cover another extreme in blocking misconception.

Its all good! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Growing up in the city was hard for me. I was always taller and more awkward... martial arts taught me to know my body and its limits even as I grew at an alarming rate. I fought almost every week from the age of 6 to 15 when school was in session.... either at school or directly there-after. It was kind of a sink or swim atmosphere.

Real live fights are pointless unless there is a real serious threat. The goal is always the same.... to preserve what you can. To include the opponant in this philosophy of the path of least destruction.

Flight is better than intimidation. Intimidation is better than striking. Striking is better than scaring. Scaring is better than maiming. Maiming is better than crippling. Crippling is better than killing. Killing is better than nothing at all... its the worst thing ever.

I have learned that violence occurs when desire exceeds logic and rational thought. The normal person is easily pushed across this line when its personal. Fear is the engine driving this mechanism. Fear of loss.

I have been in no serious physical engagements outside of arranged education. They never got serious because I was lucky enough to be able to run away.... fast.

I understand the interest in how a learned martial skill might fair in a real world setting. But I think perhaps if you have ever been in a real live engagement, you would know all you would ever need to know about it. It's terrifying... you are fighting for your life and nothing less. If you can remain calm and focus... perhaps your training will manifest itself if you were consumate enough. Decisions are made instantly and without repeal... every instant is a final judgement. You can never ever take anything back once it has become the past. Terrifying...

Im a very large man now. If there were no other alternative... I would rather suffer a beating from a lesser man than risk seriously injuring them or possibly killing them.

Moderation in all things, including moderation

• 2 weeks later...

I can't say I've actually been in a all out fight, but I have thrown a few techniques. I don't remember them all but for one of them a guy who never really liked me much had grabbed my shirt, and I slipped back to get him closer than threw a low mae geri.

External training without the training of the mind is nothing

• 3 weeks later...

I have only been in one fight, but when the time comes i must fight for my protection or someone elses i wont back down and i wont go easy. Because messing with me is alright, but if you mess with somebody i love you wont see daylight again. Now calling them names is fine, but if you hurt them i wouldnt hesitate to kill you

the best fight is one that doesnt happen

• 3 weeks later...

I've been in a few fights back in the day, none over anything worthy. I was lucky enough never to have had been beaten badly, or to have hurt anyone badly. That was quite some time ago. Some things I learned:

1. Adrenaline will shock you and fear is cold and scary.

2. Flailing doesn't work but keeping your body in control, in a good fighting stance, with simple techniques does.

3. Punches to the face hurt a lot more when there are no gloves on.

4. Very few fights are worth having.

I've bought a few upset guys a beer and let them be the one whose sense of pride or due respect stays intact, because mine are not threatened by anyone. And there is always someone bigger and meaner than me who cares more about saving face or being the alpha dog than I do. I stay lucid and keep my ego out of it.

By the way, cops and girlfriends will much appreciate it if you're the calm, mature, sane one who deescalates a situation.

Only as good as I make myself be, only as bad as I let myself be.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.