• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How many of you have actual combat experience?

they're vastly different. real fights generally happen unexpectedly, which combined with the fact that you can really get hurt means your whole mind set is different. on top of that you have adrenaline going ballistic which makes it difficult to perform techniques accurately. and of course, there are no rules. you can end up somewhere outside of the range of combat you practice in sparring, whether that be on the ground, in a clinch or whatever. there may be weapons involved, there may be other people involved. real fights are usually either very one sided or very hectic and scrappy. a lot of the differences are mental more than anything. the objective of the fight is different; you're trying to survive, not score points. the list can go on and on.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

• 1 month later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally agree with Jiffy's comment....You have to be instintive while fighting...You have no time to think when somone is throwing punches at you. My shihan was at my dojo last week, and when we were doing conbinations he was making us block full power shots to the face...to say the least it kinda made me nervious...but i enjoyed it, this was an excellent way of training in my opinion..but then again i am young and in a kinda crazy point in my life :lol: .But on another note, i see these martial artists who just because they know karate they beleive they are invinsible...But there is always somone stonger tougher and faster than u out there. I have seen a guy take a full tilt kick to the pills in a street fight and still knock the guy out....So i say use descression and pick your battles.

It is very difficult to mimic the adrenaline dump in training. When this dump occurs, it seems like everything changes, and you have to be ready to react.

It is also difficult to determine how people are going to react to certain techniques during a fight. It is never safe to assume anything.

Well , I do not like street fighting . But sometimes it´s necesary.

I had about 5 fights....

When I was 13 years old , I did not use to look for a fight ( like now) but was always over-reacting ( I am not proud of that ) .

At that time , after quirurgical operation and the rehab, I fought 2 gangster who were mocking at my Kung fu Uniform ( the gym was pretty close from my house..so went dressed).The guys were on that kind of ´´rapper , hardcore´´ bikes. I kicked the bike , and both guys went to the floor. I fought with both at the same time...and I got hitted on my left eye....nothing serius...But they did not go home without a souvenir:P

At 16.....I was involved in a couple of fights defending tiny skinny classmate from morons..... Just a couple of hits to the idiots....nothing serius.

At 18 in a disco , a (drunken) friend of mine insulted some gangsters...and started to figh ´em.... I went to help him...and reduced some guys....It was ok... But some hours after ....I was alone buying a beer when six guys ganged up and rounded me. I was inebriated at that time and in obvius inferiority of numers. But received a couple of hits in my head , when a Security guard (Hulk hogan look like) took me and sent me to some safe place in the builded.The problem was , that 20 armed guys were waiting for me at the disco´s door.. So...I called a cab...and run inside when it arrived. And....Still alive :)

´´ The evil may win a round , but not the fight ´´

• 2 weeks later...
At 18 in a disco , a (drunken) friend of mine insulted some gangsters...and started to figh ´em.... I went to help him...and reduced some guys....It was ok... But some hours after ....I was alone buying a beer when six guys ganged up and rounded me. I was inebriated at that time and in obvius inferiority of numers. But received a couple of hits in my head , when a Security guard (Hulk hogan look like) took me and sent me to some safe place in the builded.The problem was , that 20 armed guys were waiting for me at the disco´s door.. So...I called a cab...and run inside when it arrived. And....Still alive :)

Reason number 365 to stay out of disco`s night clubs and other places like that.

• 2 weeks later...

I know from personal experiance there is a difference between the do-jo and real life but how much of a difference? if u can see it coming ur safe u know exactly what to do. and I know what works All this fancy stuff is for show. You only need a good block and a good punch. The kicks and head level kicks and flying mega square carp 360, 720 kicks are only there to look good lol

To a large degree, forget blocks too. They have limited effectiveness. Remember, action beats reaction.

Strike First

Strike Fast

Strike Hard

Strike Continuously

The mind is like a parachute, it only works when it's open.