• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How many of you have actual combat experience?

Kenpo4life: It has been my experience, that if you really want a fight to end then you must use combo's--meaning punch and dont stop punching, or kick if you prefer-- I dont know so much about the combo's used in movies, i have never had a jean claude moment where the guys fought in slow motion and I could really nail them.

The best my experience has given is a few well placed punches and suprisingly, joint and elbow locks.

One who excels as a warrior does not appear formidable; One who excels at fighting is never aroused in anger; One who excels in defeating his enemy, does not join issues; One who excels in the employing of others humbles himself before them. This is the virtue of non-contention which matches the sublimity of heaven.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of morbid curiousity: has anyone ever allowed yourself to get into a fight even though you are/were confident that you could diffuse a situation for the sole purpose of getting some "fight time" in? I have not done this for a number of years (Pinky swear!) but I must admit that after I had studied for about 4 or 5 years sometimes I would allow myself to be goated into a fight.

I remember wanting to get into a big bar brawl like in the movies (dumb I know) just to test myself out in a multiple attacker situation. Anyone else out there have too much testosterone as a martial artist?

One who excels as a warrior does not appear formidable; One who excels at fighting is never aroused in anger; One who excels in defeating his enemy, does not join issues; One who excels in the employing of others humbles himself before them. This is the virtue of non-contention which matches the sublimity of heaven.

Just out of morbid curiousity: has anyone ever allowed yourself to get into a fight even though you are/were confident that you could diffuse a situation for the sole purpose of getting some "fight time" in? I have not done this for a number of years (Pinky swear!) but I must admit that after I had studied for about 4 or 5 years sometimes I would allow myself to be goated into a fight.

I remember wanting to get into a big bar brawl like in the movies (dumb I know) just to test myself out in a multiple attacker situation. Anyone else out there have too much testosterone as a martial artist?

You must have a death wish then. Fighting is horrible full stop.

Im learning martial arts to get in shape and learn skills that maybe will save my skin one day. I dont learn to get into fights and take no joy in hurting anyone.

Be like water my friend!!

Yep, my second fight was a result of that :( .

"Time is what we want most, but what we use worst"

William Penn

yep,sometimes I feel like getting into fights( too much pride- thats what is keeping mein training for solong; I'm making myself train and keep training instead of actualy picking a fight with someone...)

but after having sparred with some black belts from other schools I noticed I have to do some more training just in case I have to fight someone capable...

<> Be humble, train hard, fight dirty

good post. it's pretty sad when i go to my martial arts class's how many people i see who only put half of there effort into training. To win on the street or in the ring you need to give 100% at all times and think possitive. I have been in three non martial arts related fights and i can tell you that if you dont train to win you wont win

The thing is, not everyone trains for the sole purpose of learning to fight. Actually, I'm willing to bet that more than half of them don't. Even less train to compete.

To go back to the original topic though, I have a second job as a bouncer at a popular downtown club, so I fight quite a bit.

• 10 months later...

I've been fighting in the ring for a while now. I was a bouncer for about two years in different latin clubs. I know for a fact that Muay Thai works against any size opponent, because I have had to use it. Now saying that, you must understand that I live, breath, and defecate Muay Thai. It's ingrained in my psyche. So, it's part of me. That's why it works for me.

Gravity is the root of lightness; stillness is the ruler of movement. Lao Tzu

i've been involved in three serious fights where i could easily have been severely injured. one of them involved five other people and a couple of a baseball bats. at the time of my last real fight i was a purple belt in shotokan and i can't really say that i used any of that training in those fights.

as well as those three incidents, i've also had numerous not so serious fights where i knew my opponent would never have intentionally injured me seriously.

at that time in my life i'm ashamed to say i wasn't the nicest person ever and i was up for a fight if anyone wanted one. i didn't particularly need martial arts skills because then i was aggressive, had lots of mates to back me up and other, i guess, 'thuggish' traits. i was naturally quite a good fighter and i've never been beaten.

several years later my life is completely different, i'll avoid a fight if i possibly can, i am much more experienced in martial arts, but perhaps less confident in my combat abilities. probably because i havn't actually fought for a long time now, probably just because i'm less arrogant. however i still feel that the experience i have had will help if i ever have to fight again, and i know that i have the confidence to put up as good a defence as i physically can.

martial arts have never really been about self defence for me. if they make me good at fighting then i see that as a good effect, but the main reason i do it is purely out of interest. i find human combat in all forms immensely interesting.

Edited by alsey
"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana

Fighting is horrible full stop.

damn straight.

"Gently return to the simple physical sensation of the breath. Then do it again, and again, and again. Somewhere in this process, you will come face-to-face with the sudden and shocking realization that you are completely crazy. Your mind is a shrieking, gibbering madhouse on wheels." - ven. henepola gunaratana