• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have actually had to deal with this type of attack from ground fighters during open sparring sessions at the GYM while I was deployed. I found it to be fairly effective to just stepp back with my stronger leg to the 5 or 7 oclock position, wrap one arm around the front of their neck and bring an elbow down with the other arm. From there you can follow through with a knee to the face with the rear leg. Then if you like you can still take them to the ground with a guilotine choke hold.

2nd Dan Hap Ki Do: What we do in life echos for an eternity!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a street fight you don't necessarily want to play on the ground with a stranger. I would probably react with an uppercut to the throat, nose or temple while keeping my hips as far from the attacker as possible.

If I was caught off guard and he got in too close then yes, my reaction would be a chokehold whereby I used the attacker's head as a trampoline for a belly flop. (assuming that there are no witnesses) ;) A guillotine chokehold on the street leaves the groin dangerously vulnerable :o

My goal on the street is to avoid going to the ground (for many good reasons) In the gym, it's an entirely different matter; you just can't go around slugging people in the temple or using their heads for kneecap massage.

When someone "shoots", they have to make a pretty strong commitment inertia-wise so capitalizing on their momemtum is usally fairly easy, providing you can deflect their sweaty little hands as they attempt to grab you and bring you to the mat for some unwanted attention.

First, think of a matador, who sidesteps the bull and reach for an area near the elbow, sort of "helping" him on his way as he goes by.

These sort of tactics are for someone who is quicker and more agile than his opponent.

A good grappler is extremely hard to hold off indefinately and learning just a couple joint locks will not prepare a person for facing one on the street.

My advice for an encounter with someone bigger who is trying to grab you and cuddle in a steet fight... Run like hell! :lol:

PS: Not discounting anything Hapkidoist said, just pointing out the danger of standing still with an angry opponent in such a hold. ;)

Ti-Kwon-Leap

"Annoying the ignorant since 1961"

• 4 weeks later...

i would probably sprawl and if i couldn't sprawl i would put u in my guard and work my submisions and strikes to finish u off

good for you, shoot is an amazing style , keep it up

"When we go to the ground,you are in my world, the ground is the ocean, I am the shark,

and most people don't even know how to swim"

• 1 month later...

Depends, if it is early so that the shoot has not gained enough power and momentum, I would jam the attack by grqabbing his shoulder with lockied arms a split second before kneeing his face.

If it was already moving with full power i would roll with his motion and use a scarifice throw to use his mometum to throw him out of effective grappling range eg Yoko Garuma or Tomo Nage.

Never tried it though so can'r prove it. Just a thought.

Mind, body and fist. Its all a man truly needs.

Not sure what I would do, possibly run like hel|, maybe a toe in the eye? j/k

If he did not seem to much bigger then me then I would try to jam his shoot by tieing up his arms then going for a temple lock..

-SoulAssassin

"I aint gonna eat, I aint gonna sleep, aint gonna breath till I see what I wanna see and what I wanna see is you goto asleep, in the dirt permanently"

if he's shooting for a leg hes probably comming in head strong id imagine, and being that i like being on the ground anyhow, id most likely go for a guillotine choke, you'll atleast grab him and if the chokes not successfull end up in the guard, which is fun as hell anyhow. of course you may just end up on your back and being pummelled with blows... who knows

If i still have all my blood it was a good fight, if not, it was a great fight.

Kenpo