• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Side Control to Mount Transitions

Sorry for the delay, it's been a hectic time. We're still grinding along here though. The focus of the last couple of weeks has been moving up the positional ladder from side control to mount. THere's lots of ways to do this, but there are a couple of methods that I really like:

First up, the leg thread-

Followed by the step over-

Both of these options are excellent, particularly with used in combination with one another. What are some other options that everyone here uses? Who works either or both of these?

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • 2 months later...

I used to do both of those, and still in fact teach both. My personal strategy is slightly different though. Follow the logic....

In order to mount, one needs to have control of both their opponents hips (near and far side).

As it stands I almost always attack with knee in the belly prior to going to full mount. This claims the near side hip and leaves roughly 3 options for the person on bottom:

1: They turn towards you to attempt to hip escape, giving the mounted position in the process (along with any other array of arm/choke attacks)

2: They turn away, protecting the far hip and preventing mount at the expense of giving armbar, choke, and rear mount options

3: They do nothing, leaving shooters choice.

Is that you tallgeese?

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know." ~ Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

I used to do both of those, and still in fact teach both. My personal strategy is slightly different though. Follow the logic....

In order to mount, one needs to have control of both their opponents hips (near and far side).

As it stands I almost always attack with knee in the belly prior to going to full mount. This claims the near side hip and leaves roughly 3 options for the person on bottom:

1: They turn towards you to attempt to hip escape, giving the mounted position in the process (along with any other array of arm/choke attacks)

2: They turn away, protecting the far hip and preventing mount at the expense of giving armbar, choke, and rear mount options

3: They do nothing, leaving shooters choice.

I can see that. I also work out of knee in belly sometimes, but find it less stable than either the side or mount, hence if I can make the immediate transition I do so.

Is that you tallgeese?

Yes. I'm the one teaching in both segments. That's the inside of my little gym.