• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do/Jutsu

Tobias_Reece

In every dojo I've attended, which are only two, I've never had full contact sparring. There was some contact but no complete follow through. I've had bloody noses and been kicked into a wall, well more like through the air and into a wall, but nothing serious. Usually the injuries are from people new to sparring, or from people who want to show how tough they are...

Both of the dojo had bunkai as well, though my new school is much more thorough. Our self defense resembles Grav Maga, but how quickly and fiercely you train depends on your partners. My first dojo trained mostly for sparring and neglected the kata and self defense a bit. The one self defense drill I do remember was basically run-do when fighting more that one.

So I guess I'm learning a Do/Jutsu combination. Without the full-contact sparring it's slightly Do, but with the more realistic self-defense it's a bit Jutsu. But, if Justu is pertaining to war, then shouldn't we be learning how to use firearms, and drive tanks?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what's the difference between Kobudo and Kobujutsu then ?

I know that sounds like a dumb question, but what would the difference in the lesson be?

Maybe it would help to look at it this way. A samurai didn't spend all his time fighting (jutsu), but regardless of what he was doing at any particular moment, he was always a samurai (do), and trained with that in mind. Does that help?

Jutsu may be thought of as concentration on technique, where Do implies the effort to be a complete person.

As for Do being incompatible with Christianity, this implies a very superficial understanding of both Do and Christianity.

A Do is not a religion, it does not imply the veneration or indeed the existance, of a creator. It instead implies the practitoiner is striving to become a more humane, aware,and focussed individual. Margery Kempe, Julian of Norwich, Christina of Avila, Francis of Assisi, etc... may all be said to have practiced "Do."

Followers of post modern fundamentalist Christian sects have attempted to reduce everything to a "Good and bad" dualism, that is far from the basic tenets of Christian Theology. This belief system seeks to prevent its follwers from engaging in any activity that might serve to inspire them to strive and ask questions. Does Chritianity prohibit academic study? Does it prohibit attempting to become a better, more moral individual? If so, then yes, Do is incompatible with Christianity (Hello Mr. Ashcroft :D).

I doubt that any of these things are antithetical to Christianity!

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!

As you will see Budo is directly related to Buddhism and Daoism, pls read the following:

Budo is the way of the warrior; it embraces all the Japanese martial arts. It explores through direct experience and in depth the relationship between ethics, religion, and philosophy. Its association with sports is a very recent development; the ancient writings are essentially concerned with a particular form of cultivation of the mind and a reflection upon the nature of the self: who am I? What is I?

In Japanese, do means the way. How do you walk on this way? How can you find it? It is not just learning a technique, still less is it a sporting match. Budo includes such arts as kendo, judo, aikido, and kyudo or archery; yet the ideogram bu also means to cease the struggle. In Budo the point is not only to compete, but to find peace and mastery of the self.

Do, the way, is the method, the teaching that enables you to understand perfectly the nature of your own mind and self. It is the way of the Buddha, butsudo, that leads you to discover your own original nature, to awaken from the numbness of the sleeping ego (the little self, the limited "me") and accede to higher, fuller personhood. In Asia this way has become the supreme morality and essence of all religions and philosophies. The yin and yang of the I Ching, the "existence is nothing" of Lao Tsu, have their roots in it. by Taisen Deshimaru

As a Christian we are not to mix religious beliefs or follow alternative paths.

As for Do being incompatible with Christianity, this implies a very superficial understanding of both Do and Christianity.

I take that as a personal attack on me and my faith. It sounds like you are saying I do not understand my own beliefs??? To me it sounds as if you are only seeing the superficial similarities between the two.

From a Biblical bases the Christian believer is to be motivated by his/her love for God. This is the centre of his/her life. In the martial arts the underlying philosophy is to live your life in accord with the way. Sure, martial arts foster a determined effort and spiritual endurance but if that eclipses Christ in any way then you have set up an idol.

Followers of post modern fundamentalist Christian sects have attempted to reduce everything to a "Good and bad" dualism, that is far from the basic tenets of Christian Theology

I don’t want to debate Protestant theology vs. Catholic theology or dispensationism vs. covenant theology either. I was searching for the opinion of Christians who train in the martial arts. This so called post, modern fundamentalist belief you speak of is only 70 years younger then the point of view you are expressing in catholic covenant theology. Both being born out of the reformation.

Sho-ju

Do, as an aspect of Buddhism (and it is in actuality, derived from Taoism) is separate from Do as an aspect of martial art training.

As for Catholic Theology, I am discussing the theology I am familiar with, that of the 10th-15th centuries. I was not attacking you personally, just suggesting you do some research. :)

There have always been Starkadders at Cold Comfort Farm!