• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do/Jutsu

Tobias_Reece

Hi guys

Just to show guys my thoughts on the Do/Jutsu front.

Do means "way". eg. Karate-do - The way of Karate.

Jutsu is to do with war eg. Iaijutsu - the combat use of the sword.

I train in Karate-do. I use it to improve my life skills, and find it a bonus if I can learn to "fight"

If I practiced Karate-jutsu, then I would expect to be able to be just as good a fighter as TBKen. But I dont, so I wont claim to be.

So just to show my view, I dont train in karate to become a supreme fighter, and I know of many other students (and instructors) who feel the same.

Oh, and before anybody says anything, I will begin to train in "jutsu" soon.

C ya

"You Are Never Given A Dream Without Also Being Given The Power To Make It True. You May Have To Work For It, However"

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner

West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy

2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume that you want a response from one of your students... here it is.

This is an argument that will always plauge the martial arts. notice the word ART in there. that's precisely what it is, an art. Anything that revolves around smashing chairs over people's heads isnt an art. Learning how to break someone's face is not an art form (unless you put a peice of paper around them to catch the blood... impressionist art y'know). The founder of shotokan karate believed in no physical contact at all.

Quite frankly, if you were in an art gallery, would you grab paintings off the wall and smash them over people's heads? That sort of thing is only fit for toughman contests and liverpool pubs. Not the dojo.

:argue:

There really isn't much use arguing about it. Its a matter of personal prefernce. You just pick the one you want. Not to offent anybody but the way i look at it is "Do i want to learn to dance or learn to fight ?" i picked fighting. If you don't pick a style that practices sparing with contact and practical fighting techniques you won't be able to defend yourself. If you pick a style that is all kata and gymnastics that is what you will learn.

punch kick shoot pound submitt

The Art part of Martial arts is the "self expression". This is why martial arts are so subjective. Tactics of fighting change with the environment, culture, technology and even religious belief. I personally think that a person should be able to fight or defend themselves if they want to call themselves martial artists. Forms, kata and Kiah all look good, but unless the application is taught, then it is useless and a person might as well be doing ballet. Martial means "to do with war or military".. Art can be interpreted as "skill" or "self expression". Without the war or combat application, then all you are doing is Art, not Martial Art.

Just kick 'em, they'll understand.- Me

Apprentice Instructor under Guro Inosanto in Jun Fan Gung Fu and Filipinno Martial arts.

Certified Instructor of Frank Cucci's Linxx system of martial arts.

Well the never ending debate of Do/Jutsu goes on.

Master Funikoshi was trained in the martial arts by masters Itosu and Azato who trained in karate jutsu, the practical fighting styles of karate.

When master Funikoshi introduced karate to the people of Japan the fighting system of Tang Te or Chinese hand (this was the original name for karate)had to be made more acceptible.

To do this he changed the name to Karate also changing the kanji (japanese spelling) and taking out all the rough (to use a better term) elements.

He could now introduce karate to the education system especially universitys as a Martial Art and it was accepted as always being japanese.

Steve Leak

karateronin is the Chief Instructor of Karate International Black Belt Schools UK.

I agree with tobias (be quiet people who know me well!!) Karate has also now become My way of life, It makes me think before i do ANYTHING.

I also did not train in karate, (as i still am training obviously) to become a fighter, i started because i thought it would be fun, although it is fun, karate is above that now, as it is above me, it is not a sport, i play alot of sport, Karate is more, Karate is life, not just somewhere that you go to fight that comes as a bonus, as Tobias pointed out

Karate has now become a large part of my life, just as my senseis and my fellow students(oh my god i sound like my dad ""fellow students""!) have become part of me. :bigwink: Ang

Angela Winter

orange belt, shotokan karate

Karate International Black Belt Schools UK

NEVER BE INTIMIDATED, NEVER GIVE UP NEVER BE DEFEATED.

you are what you are.

I agree with tobias (be quiet people who know me well!!) Karate has also now become My way of life, It makes me think before i do ANYTHING.

I also did not train in karate, (as i still am training obviously) to become a fighter, i started because i thought it would be fun, although it is fun, karate is above that now, as it is above me, it is not a sport, i play alot of sport, Karate is more, Karate is life, not just somewhere that you go to fight that comes as a bonus, as Tobias pointed out

Karate has now become a large part of my life, just as my senseis and my fellow students(oh my god i sound like my dad ""fellow students""!) have become part of me. :bigwink: Ang

Angela Winter

orange belt, shotokan karate

Karate International Black Belt Schools UK

NEVER BE INTIMIDATED, NEVER GIVE UP NEVER BE DEFEATED.

you are what you are.

• 1 year later...

I train and teach karate as a jitsu or fighting art. As a Christian, Christ is my way of life karate is not. Anyone else fell this way?

Sho-ju