• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Opinions on Self Taught Martial Arts

Being self taught might have some positive aspects to it also.

Example, I learned and had a knack for the spinning back fist from karate. A quick jab lined up nicely for my spinning backfist with the right. It was an instant knockout technique; loved it!

Switched to TKD used the spinning backist in class. The instructor told me to stop flailing. I eventually lost my lust for this technique that worked so well for me.

I have brought this topic up because. just the other day on YouTube, I watched a bout between karate and TKD. The match was won by karate man using a spinning backfist. knocked the TKD fighter out cold.

Teachers can hinder a student's progress as well as help, a trade off. Style is more important than the individual.

Bruce Lee got it right when he said "No way as way" Could include the self taught individuals also.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being self taught might have some positive aspects to it also.

Example, I learned and had a knack for the spinning back fist from karate. A quick jab lined up nicely for my spinning backfist with the right. It was an instant knockout technique; loved it!

Switched to TKD used the spinning backist in class. The instructor told me to stop flailing. I eventually lost my lust for this technique that worked so well for me.

I have brought this topic up because. just the other day on YouTube, I watched a bout between karate and TKD. The match was won by karate man using a spinning backfist. knocked the TKD fighter out cold.

Teachers can hinder a student's progress as well as help, a trade off. Style is more important than the individual.

Bruce Lee got it right when he said "No way as way" Could include the self taught individuals also.

I would agree with everything you said in this post. I think the thing to remember is that many people are not going to be able to take a movement like that and have self taught to clean and crisp technique but in my open yet and it is absolutely possible if you go about it correctly and critiquing your self

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

Had another issue with another ma school and style. This time with JKD.

The teacher brought in some large pads for us to kick on. While one student held the pad low to his leg while the other person kicking it Muay Thai style (round house kick)

While I was kicking the pad the senior student kept telling me not look at the pad while kicking it. I told him that I didn't want to do that. He insisted and I insisted, eventually I gave in and stopped looking at the pad while kicking.

Did my kicks on the pad full power. without looking at the pad. Well to cut a long story short. My knees were so badly damaged from that session that I could hardly walk for three months.

Had to quit JKD. Lots of time off work. Plenty of pain and suffering.

The proper kicking apparatus should have been a stationery car tire setup. Instead of an over sized stiff vinyl pad.

Should have done the kicking my way. I know it is wrong to kick and look and perhaps not great technique. I don't kick looking at the opponent's leg but kicking something that isn't designed for it, I was being careful not to damage myself.

Problem was that I had more experience than the senior student in this regard and trying to fit in and being respectful, cost me alot of un necessary problems by conforming.

Would have been better off making my own car tire kicking setup without all the hassle and problems that occurred.

Had another issue with another ma school and style. This time with JKD.

The teacher brought in some large pads for us to kick on. While one student held the pad low to his leg while the other person kicking it Muay Thai style (round house kick)

While I was kicking the pad the senior student kept telling me not look at the pad while kicking it. I told him that I didn't want to do that. He insisted and I insisted, eventually I gave in and stopped looking at the pad while kicking.

Did my kicks on the pad full power. without looking at the pad. Well to cut a long story short. My knees were so badly damaged from that session that I could hardly walk for three months.

Had to quit JKD. Lots of time off work. Plenty of pain and suffering.

I'm sorry to hear that. JKD is one of my favorite styles to learn about. The pad that they used, was it a Thai Pad? They should've just went with some basic focus mitts.

"When I have listened to my mistakes, I have grown." ~Bruce Lee

Yes it was unfortunate to not be able to continue with JKD.

The JKD club was using a community hall room, so it wasn't actually a full time gym setup.

There are dangers in being self taught and also just as many dangers in a club environment.

I also have a neck injury while practicing one step sparring in a TKD club. The other person changed the technique that he was supposed to be doing, and landed a hook kick to the back of my neck. This happened 18 years ago, it still has caused me neck issues till this very day.

Martial art clubs can suffer from excessive contact, from students as well as teachers. Personally I try to be careful not to hurt anyone while training, not everyone thinks this way.

I don't allow myself in ma clubs to be subjected to bullying that is disguised as sparring. Some teachers can put a blind eye to this and let it continue. I have had real fights in clubs due to this issue.

Self taught martial artists need not worry about club bullies.