• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Your Style Strong/Weak points

great conversation man!!!

just adding on here. my art is ninjutsu

Pros: we cover almost everything. we're jacks of all trades

cons: we dont cover anything fully. we're masters of none!

keep talking folks

.:let honor guide your hand:.

"you won't be alive long enough to remember my name"

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I study Kilap Kilat Silat, an amalgamation of many styles of Pentjak Silat with a power base in Chinese martial arts.

Pro

1. Covers striking with all manners of hitting surfaces (fist, open palm, knee, foot, elbow, head, shoulder, even chest).

2. Short, fast grappling. No complicated joint locks.

3. Ground fighting trained as a last resort if somehow you fall to the ground.

4. Emphasis on multiple attacker fighting.

5. Aggressive, swift attitude and fluid movement typical of Indonesian martial arts combined with the external and internal power typical of the Chinese (external earlier on, internal later on).

6. Taught free form as concepts and not rigid applications.

7. Weapons are kept minimal (knives, sticks and staff), but still enough training to interest those who want to learn weapons.

Con

1. Most conditioning must be done on the practitioner's own time as class is most often technique and sparring.

2. This system is pointless for anyone seeking a sport or a serious means of aerobic or muscular conditioning. Practitioners gain strong legs, but it does not stress conditioning in such a way that all higher level students have the "Adonis" body and can do full splits.

3. This system was first taught only in the last 15 years or so, and as a consequence, there are only three possible sites in the nation where it is taught.

4. By the very nature of the system (sampling many kinds of arts and styles of training in a certain order), there is more emphasis on taking the most combative aspects of many arts rather than learning all the nuances and beauties of a single art in great detail. However, many fundamentals are redundant from style to style.

I have been in San Soo for 16 years so I am fairly advanced in all thetechniques.

Pros

1. Good for self defense most techniques are down to earth that will end a fight in 7 seconds or less. Overall it is a really good " street " fighting technique not very flashy until you get high ranked. If you train long enough like I have it covers every aspect of fight from kicking ( including high flashy kicks ) to punching to trapping to grappling. But it takes awhile to learn all the techniques. Theres not very many unrealistic techniques used it is a very lethal fighting art just what it was made for.

Cons

1. Lacks grappling at the start. Lacks kicking at the start too. Takes awhile to be good at it. Can't spar because techniques are to dangerous and you would run out of sparring partners :D

The amateur shoots his hands out ferociously, but lacks any true power. A master is not so flamboyant, but his touch is as heavy as a mountain.

My Art is Budo Taijutsu

Pros: We cover everything thoroughly.

Cons: We cover everthing thoroughly.

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who

are willing to endure pain with patience."

"Lock em out or Knock em out"