• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Your Style Strong/Weak points

My style is also a hybrid of Tae Kwon Do (thus the name Modern-American TKD).

Strong points: We're pretty well-rounded, I'd say. Our katas are nice and pretty, and our fighting is pretty good. Even though we make contact to head & body (one of the only schools in the area who do), there aren't too many injuries.

However, I think the strongest point of my style is that it allows the freedom of choice. Each individual practitioner can specialize in fighting or in katas, or in self-defense, or whatever. Those who specialize will be very good in that area, but will most likely still be pretty proficient in the other areas, too. I'm so *sniffle* proud of :cry: our students!! :bawling:

Weak points: In fighting, there seems to be encouragement to rely heavily on kicks. Some people still use kicks & punches evenly, but most don't. I think this "encouragement" comes from point fighting: kick are worth 2 points and punches are worth 1, match usually ending with 5 points. Therefore the quickest way to win would be to land 3 kicks instead of 5 punches. Because of this, people tend to lack good counters: if someone comes in close, out of habit the fighter will try to kick instead of punching.

OK, ok, so I may be talking more about myself than my school as a whole ;)

But I have seen a few students who have problems with this.

1st dan & Asst. Instructor TKD 2000-2003

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like this topic so far.

Kuk Sool Won is my art.

Strengths: Very comprehensive. Labeled as a hard/soft style, and incorporates aspects of both. Joint manipulation, pressure points, elbows, knees, etc. for close combat. Kicks, hand strikes, sparring for developing distance fighting. Weapons training for.....ah fooey, their just fun to learn. :lol:

Weakness: As with most, groundfighting. They like to list groundfighting as one of its elements, but its not in the league of JJ. Its more like applying the stnding techniques (joint attacks, pressure points) from a ground fighting situation.

Kuk Sool Won - 4th dan

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

• 3 weeks later...

Style: Yoseikan Aikido and Jujitsu

Strong points: Excellent grasp of joint locks and takedowns from jujitsu and aikido. Emphasis is placed on modified judo techniques from nongrappling attacks. Groundwork and standing pins are addressed as well, although not as comprehensively as in more specialized arts such as Brazilian Jujitsu. Weapons are taught also, both the more useful knick and short stick as well as the more tradional sword and staff.

And most useful is the inclusion of sacrifice techniques that can be utilized in almost any situation that against an opponent with little or no falling skills will in most cases incapacitate or injure depending on the threat level of the situation. These throws use the attackers momentum as well as that of the defenders falling body to take the attacker to the ground.

Weak points: Not enough focus on defenses against a combination striker. Although in my dojo this has been introduced and we're working hard on making our practice more street effective. Groundwork could be more effective, but so to the breadth and depth of what we practice much of the improvement is left to the individual student. Striking skills are strong, but a large variety of strikes and combinations are not taught. Some instructor with cross training such as myself do teach basic boxing combinations to make up for this shortcoming.

Once again sorry for the book.

Matt Gilliard

Shodan- Yoseikan Aikido

Shodan- Goshin Jujitsu

Kuntao,

Strengths: Teaches you to be extremely aggresive, learn to block, grapple, and hit all once, very very fast, simple movements and always always teaches you to be continiously moving out of the way, can hit you at any angle while looking for that escape route. Very punishing, Kuntaoers usually look to destroy you piece by piece all the way down to the ground without relenting. Has the advantage of never being turned into a sport.

Weaknesses: The only weakness is what I bring to the table.

I own you.

We dont fight till we're really hurt or go around starting fights - that would be good experince, the latter being very dangerous. However that's were the limitations end - fullcontact sparring is done, most moves utilized in both the sports i study (BJJ and an MMA) :)

"Nautral" moves come...nautrally (groin strikes, eye gouges, biting, not that 99% of the martial arts classes in the world actually porperly let u do that anyway.) :D

My style is a hybrid of boxing and TKD. I am only a orange belt in TKD right now so my skills are still devloping.

Pros: Punching power, along with accuracy and speed. Many people in TKD do not practice punching so they are not prepared to defend against it. Kicking power, which is devloping rapidly. The fact that My style used both punching and kicking, imo, makes it a very forceful style.

Cons: No grappling, if some one were to grapple with me, and they had any experience at all, they would certainly win.

Boxing - "Tommy Gordon Amateur Boxing Club"

Tae Kwon Do - "East Coast Tae Kwon Do"

i take northern 7-star mantis.

pros. well in our style we practis jest about everything(grappling, strikes, ect.)

cons. takes long time to get really good, it works best close to the other person(s) so if a good distence is put in between theres a much better chance of the other person winning but we do a lot of techniques to close the space.

im not trying to say my style is superior so please don't take it that way, im jest saying that theres not type of fighter(grappler, kicker, ect.) that would have superior advantage.

it would all depend on the skill of both fighters.

Fighting out of hate brings only disgrace.

Ki Aikido

Weak points:

Takes longer than most to be able to apply effectively about 2 years or so depending on how hard you train

I find that comment very interesting, because in my opinion it takes a commited karateka about 3 years to start to become effective....

Currently: Kickboxing and variants.

Previously: Karate (Seido, Shotokan, Seidokan), Ju Jitsu, Judo, Aikido, Fencing.

Well, it depends on what you consider effective. I found karate much easier to apply. An Oisuke can be applied from day one, ofcourse it takes time to truely get fluid in.

Aikido is much the same, I think Locks in general are harder to learn and even harder to apply to a fully resisting oppenent.

As I study Aikido more and more I release how little I actually know. To be honest, I think in any of TMA you have to have been doing the style until around 2nd Dan, to have the power, fittness, balance and technical ability to truely apply the style.