• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Your Style Strong/Weak points

filipino martial arts is my style (doece pares: inlcudes, pangamot, dumog, eskrido, eskrima, arnis, sikaram)

Pros: you become effective quickly. 50% weapon training, 50% empty hand, involves all ranges of fighting, long medium close ground and transitions between them which is very improtant. hard/soft style. weapons fighting directly influences empty hand, based on quick entrances

cons: overwhelming at first. not a popular style (hard to find). not enough focus on fighting on the ground. Does not focus on the internal aspect very much. Not very much long range fighting, most counters or entrances. Once again the biggest weakness in he style is that it is that ou need to be self motivated. Self training is one of the msot improtant aspects of the style

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

My style: Wado-Ryu karate

Pros:

-Powerful techniques. It is geared more towards power than speed (i.e. chambering fist to hip before striking, using reaction hand with techniques).

-Accuracy. We are taught to be very accurate with our strikes, so we can instinctively nail the solar plexis, floating rib, etc. dead on. I've been winded by a sensei when he purposely hit me with no power whatsoever, to demonstrate a bad punch.

-Very thourough blocking system. When properly used and applied, techniques can either be forcefully blocked or skillfully deflected.

-Lots of katas to practice. You need to know 30 katas for your black belt. So there is endless amounts of training to be done.

-A few effective takedowns, leg sweeps. We practice basic hip tosses and a few other takedowns regularly.

-Functional grappling skills. We grapple on the ground, but we don't go into it in depth like a grappling art. My old sensei was basically a natural grappling expert. I don't think he's ever been beaten. We learned his 'whatever works' style of grappling, and it does work. I've tapped out a wrestler who recently placed 2nd in the region in one out of our two grappling matches.

-Building character. Our karateka learn to be respectful and responsible.

Cons:

-Lack of multiple takedowns. A good judoka could toss us around like ragdolls.

-Lack of formal groundfighting 'curriculum'.

-Takes years to become effective. Before maybe two years of training, I would say most people will be a WORSE fighter than they would be with no karate.

-Kicking flexibility/repitoire. We lack the variety of kicks and generally lack the flexibility of a tae kwon do fighter

-Blocking techniques are rarely used effectively. Most karateka don't use them effectively or at all in sparring or fighting. If they are used correctly, however, they can be quite effective.

-Lack of full-contact sparring. We spar with contact to the body but none to the face.

22 years old

Shootwrestling

Formerly Wado-Kai Karate

Hello all. My first post here. Kudos to SubmissionFighter for starting this thread. It's like therapy.

Traditional(non-sport) Tae Kwon Do

Pros:

-Emphasis on self-defense, free sparring, and practicality of techniques.

-None of the "kicks only" attitude of sport fighters, lots of kicks though, if you want 'em

-LOTS of emphasis on Ki development

Cons:

-No close-in techniques besides elbow and knees.

-No groundfighting or grappling

-Many techniques ineffective until excellent flexiblity is obtained

Edited by Maestro

Might as well take my advice--I don't use it anymore.

Shotokan

Cons

1. You learn slow

2. Lack of Weapons

3. Many reps of Kata

4. Basic and Simple not flashy

5. Strong History you need to know

6. All the hidden moves (locks, cranks, chokes, takedowns, guard, etc)

Pros

1. You learn slow

2. Don't waste time on weapons

3. Many reps of Kata

4. Basic and Simple not flashy

5. Strong History you need to know

6. All the hidden moves (locks, cranks, chokes, takedowns, guard, etc)

Now if that is not a Yin Yang answer I don't kow that I can make one up. LOL. But honestly what everyone hates about Shotokan is what the true Shotokan student loves. So to each his or her own.

Edited by G95champ

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

my style Kickboxing.

Con's: Go straight into full contact without drilling out the basic techniques to make them air tight. Too much sparring to early on can dishearten slow learners.

Pro's: If you do take to it well then you can learn very fast and actually build up an arsenal of things you can use in real self defence situations.

"I didn't lose!!! I just ran out of time to figure out how to beat him."

(Thai-Kick-Jitsu, Blue Belt)