• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Your Style Strong/Weak points

Hi,

I don't remember if we have discussed this before, so excuse me if im repeating.. but I found this an interesting subject. :)

Not all styles are perfect, despite how much we want them to be, so in order to educate eachother, be honest and say what do you feel its your martial arts style strong and weak points.

I'll be the first... my system is an hybrid freestyle that my instructor call "ho Shin Sul Do".

Strong: practical skills, easy to learn techniques, good conditioning, striking AND grappling technquines are worked,

Weak: No weapons, NO Ki/Chi, sometimes hard for the body because of full contract training,

Also, is Hard for people to accept (usually look for traditional martial arts names like karate, kung fu, etc..),

usually linked to the UFC, NHB, (which is bad because people think we train for that)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was going to start the very same thread Submission.

I have nothing but respect for you modern stylists, I also believe that there is something more to your training than UFC. Unfortunately there are a small minority that do do so, the ones that bad mouth other styles because they DONT train for NHB and UFC.

Back to the post.

Ki Aikido

Weak points:

Takes longer than most to be able to apply effectively about 2 years or so depending on how hard you train. Ki development takes a long time to get right, a life time. Defences against Kicks, but they come in late Dan grades, as the breakfalls from them a really hard. Not so good for knee's if you dont train properly.

Strong Points.

Great History, Great Founder. Very effective, against both strikers and grapplers. Lots of breakfalling, important not just in combat but in daily life, if you fall over a lot. Weapons training. Ki is centeral to Aikido. Natural system, so no broken bones etc... Katsu Hayai, which means to win an instant victory with minimal damage to you and your opponent, which is a nice thought. Very complete at later stages.

Take Care.

Ok, this is the way I am taught taekwondo, so this doesnt apply for Taekwondo in general ;)

Strong Points: Lots of Breakfalling, effective, lots of striking, parrying, bobbing,weaving, ki development. Learn to apply fast, strong kicks. Overall good body conditioning, practical(for the most part :) ). Simply simple hehe, not that hard to learn the basics.

Weak Points: NO grappling :( Sometimes in self-defense, we tend to work the left side alot more then the right lol, Takes a while to be very efficient.

~BladeLee~

my style is shootfighting. im not training specifically for the UFC but i wouldn't mind competing in it someday.

Weak: size matters more than in other MA's. no spiritual stuff or kata's or anything like that.

Strong: its complete. there aren't as much restrictions as in other MA's. example, if my arms are clinched, a head butt is just as legal as a takedown. a skilled shootfighter should be able to hold his own against anyone(im not saying beating the other guy, but he could still hold his own because it all depends on the person)

Okinawan Shorin-Ryu Karate Do-Strong points-good standup striking and grappling.

weak points-little ki, no ground fighting

If you can't laugh at yourself, there's no point. No point in what, you might ask? there's just no point.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.

I think the point on reconizing the weak points of your style is to do something, not just know them.

If you train in one style and realize your style lacks of something you feel necesary, then you can go and learn it, Crosstrain is always an option.

• 3 weeks later...

Muay Thai

Strengths - Violent powerful kicks. unexpected clinches and knees. Close combat elbow techniques. Leg damaging takedowns.

Weaknesses - Sport style lacks groundfighting

I won't list lack of ki training as a weakness because my personal jury is still out on the benefits of that.

BTW I crosstrain in Shidokan Karate and MMA to be more well rounded.

Rock Paper Scissor

Punch Knee Kick

^ME^ ^MY DOJO^