• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Side Kick / Snap Side Kick

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

My opinion is that whatever the methodology is being taught, one, especially beginners, should adhere to that, and nothing else.

The problem is often see, especially in tournament fighting, is that the side snap kick isn't thrown correctly, therefore, ineffective. Said kick at tournaments aren't properly aligning as they should, but instead, a quick flick out and pray for the best; more like a slap being used more as one would shew a fly away, and with it being all over the place.

No, the methodology should be adhered to at the beginning, except if you believe that if it's not broken, then why try to fix it!?! Sure, there are always better ways to make said technique becoming more effective, but then, if one's trying to deliver differently, just for that, I'd say stick with ones taught methodology.

Methodologies vary so much, that the trees seem to get in the way of the forest!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I couldnt see the video unfortunately but what your talking about is something I teach regularly. Also in jeet kune do this is called a stop kick basically and it's not a kick to cause damage but to control distance. It's called a stop kick.

So the way I teach it within most technique there is a minimum as a maximum. The maximum chamber is the knee all the way loaded as you explained, the lack of clambering would be the minimum level. Both have its place, and both can be powerful. Of course in sparring many people will want to "cheat" a punch, a kick, or even footwork to get the jump because a fight is free flowing and depends heavily on what you feel right then and there, and not what you practice without being under pressure.

Think about it like this. If you do a basic combination suck as Jab, Cross, rear leg front snap kick, it's a great example. If you throw the jab, and the. Put the same behind the cross as if it was your last technique you will see there is a gap in timing to get to the front snap kick. In order for the combo to be an effective combo you must cheat the cross, as the cross shortens it allows the kick to come more quickly. The power in the attack comes from the combo itself and not in each individual strike itself.

Does that make sense. I was taught big chambers for traditional blocks and many years later learned to understand the concept of spontaneous reaction. The chamber must be able to execute from the "minimum" chamber in order to be most effective. Maybe I'll do a video when my back healt, I hurt it a week ago and I couldn't even stand, every day I'm about 20% better, hopefully that doesn't stop lol.

Hope I helped trigger something in your mind in some way, shape or form.

Interesting, so I didn't see the second page when writing and I now see the video. What I'm looking at is more of a front snap kick, however the same post above I think applies. I see this as more of a jabbing front snap kick. With no pivot I can't see the side kick in it but never the less same concepts to me as mentioned above.

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!