• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Side Kick / Snap Side Kick

I'm asking for opinions on this. I was taught many years ago in my TKD days that a side kick is loaded with a knee lift and delivered by aligning the heel, butt and shoulder for maximum power.

I usually forego the complete knee cock when I'm sparring to speed up the kick but will sometimes lift the knee high in a defensive posture that I can quickly convert into an offensive kick. When I was sparring with another fighter the other day, I told him when sliding in for a jab, lift your knee to block a defensive kick and snap it out if he gets the opportunity for a side kick to connect. He said it feels awkward because he is used to the snap kick.

I see a lot of people using what is referred to as a snap side kick which is quicker but doesn't have the power because the hip isn't aligned and the glute isn't fully engaged.

I sometimes wonder if I should tell them they're doing it wrong. Or, am I wrong and the kick they are using is a legitimate kick just less powerful and easy to jam?

Sparring is honesty the rest is art.

"If you allow it, you'll have it."

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Do you have a video of the two gunner? I'm struggling to picture the two.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I'm asking for opinions on this. I was taught many years ago in my TKD days that a side kick is loaded with a knee lift and delivered by aligning the heel, butt and shoulder for maximum power.

I usually forego the complete knee cock when I'm sparring to speed up the kick but will sometimes lift the knee high in a defensive posture that I can quickly convert into an offensive kick. When I was sparring with another fighter the other day, I told him when sliding in for a jab, lift your knee to block a defensive kick and snap it out if he gets the opportunity for a side kick to connect. He said it feels awkward because he is used to the snap kick.

I see a lot of people using what is referred to as a snap side kick which is quicker but doesn't have the power because the hip isn't aligned and the glute isn't fully engaged.

I sometimes wonder if I should tell them they're doing it wrong. Or, am I wrong and the kick they are using is a legitimate kick just less powerful and easy to jam?

Was the stance down from a horseback stance position or a front/fighting stance?

Teachers are always learning

Sorry, I don't have a video but maybe I can make one this weekend. I'm an old guy and have lots of sparring experience. When I see this snap kick, I just step in and jam it or slap it down. That's why these younger fighters ask me how I do it.

I see the same thing in their defense. If you're going to put a block, put some muscle behind it or I'm going to knock it down and hit my target. They ask me if that's legal. My response is, "I don't care, you're dead just the same."

The first kick you described has more power to it, but leaves an opening for a front kick to the groin. In Bujin, we'd do it, too. Because those wearing a cup will be kicked in the cup. The snap side kick isn't as strong, but it's safer.

My fists bleed death. -Akuma

Thanks for the explanation. The kick just seams useless to me because it has little effect. I guess in point sparring it would get you a point if it connected. Most of the time I'm able to jam their kick or just knock it down with my hand. Sometimes I'll just catch it and push them off balance.

I rarely get kicked in the groin on the side kick because I usually don't kick higher than the mid section. I've been kicked in the groin using high rounder house kicks but even those are limited. I consider most high kicks to be for show.