• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Sparring against punchers

Hiya all.

I'm going to a tourny on 12/15. There is a lot of "punchers" in my dojang. They will get in on you and just pound away at your vest. I'm a kicker, so I'm useless when this happens.

My question is, what is the best strategies against these type of fighters? Mind you, I do WTF TKD style sparring. No hand contact to the head, and punches are only allowed to the vest. No take-downs or hits below the belt. I'm about the only one at my level who is flexible enough to kick the head (except two others).

Thanks in advance.

Laurie F

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Use your front snap kick to keep them off you. Im a puncher to lol.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

Hey Laurie:

Keep them at your kicking range. Although I would suspect that they will set up their punching attacks with kicks first. If that happens, try to counter punch them using a basic punching technique like the reverse punch. Throw some kick combos to keep their hands occupied with blocking before punching. Work your angles when throwing your kicks too. Hope this helps out some. As far as power, your speed will generate your power. Good luck :)

Di'DaDeeeee!!!

Mind of Mencia

Im a puncher myself. What I find annoying is a guy that stays just outside my pounding range that darts in and out with multiple kicking combos. Counter puncking can be effective if you are the quicker one.

When I face another puncher I personally tend to muscle it out a bit. Its about attitude and not worring about being hit and exchange a few shots till I can find an advantage. Not every opponent likes to be hit hard and some when hit enough change their tactics. I try to get them to fight my kind of fight. My strenght is not kicking high if you are a kicker throw a lot of kicks, just beware of the counterpunch and dont drop you guard on those high kicks youll be wide open.

Pain is only temporary, the memory of that pain lasts a lifetime.

Teep, teep and teep again!

A good teep will send your opponent off balence and keep good range, a perfect weapon against a boxer.

http://www.muaythaiuk.org.uk/Pictures/gutteep.jpg

Limits Are Not Accepted. They Are Elbowed, Kicked And Punched.