• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Practical stretching tip for splits

Found a practical way to help doing the splits. While experimenting many different methods to improve my splits, I came up with a novel idea. Using 2 bungee cords, the type used to hold things down on a car roof rack. Hook the bungee's around each ankle while sitting in the split position and hook the other ends on either side behind you to something like a metal fence. Now use your hands behind you to push yourself forward. You can always hold a weight in front of your chest to help with the stretch. If you lay flat on your back and still attached to the bungees, you can raise your legs and PNF. Trying to pull your legs together then relaxing back in to the splits. Also if you have some rope or thick string attached to something solid you can pull yourself forward with it, while in the splits. If you can handle the strain of it all. your ankles are going to need some padding like a hand towel wrapped around each ankle, otherwise the bungees will be strangling your ankles and cutting off your curculation. I would suggest to give yourself at least one hour to gradually make your flexibility improvements. With practice and patience you will become flexible. With the bungee cord stretching idea the possibilities are as limited as your imagination. Sometimes I use ice to numb the muscles I want to stretch and where I feel any discomfort I just use ice on that area only. Beware of giving yourself frostbite. This method to improve flexibility really works... don't give up! Remember: tension/relaxation/breath.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hi Bushido! Please let me elaborate a little more with this bungee stretching method. As I am about 60 my muscles are more tighter than my younger days. So I need to stretch with more wisdom and patience. I have tried and tested the Pilate/yoga bands, I break them too easily. I have tried the rubber tension bands and a I snap them also. I bought a nice stretching device that contains the three metal bars and pulling the middle bar stretches the two outside bars. Problem with this is that it is very static not much PNF options and being tense when pulling the legs apart is not giving any chance to relax the body totally. With the bungee cords I can relax my entire body while being stretched by them. The two bungees I use are only 2 ft long less than a meter in length. While sitting on the ground I attach them to my ankles then attach them to a metal fence directly behind me. Then with my hands behind me I push myself forward. Try to point your toes straight up to the sky and keep the small of the back straight also. That's about it really. A few other tips also. I listen to music to keep my mind occupied and at times I shake my legs as fast as possible to the music. I also have three pieces of string. I tie a loop on end and make a knots on the other; this is so I can do some side stretching also. I attache the loop end over each foot and use the other knotted end for pulling on. The third piece of string is attached to something in front of me and then I can pull my self forward with it.

Another way is to find a slope. Take three pegs, place two pegs either side in the ground for your ankles to stop you from sliding down the slope and peg number three on front of you to help to pull yourself forward with your hands. Sitting in this split position on a slope and letting gravity and your own body weight to pull your legs apart, by just leaniing forward.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds similar to how I ripped my adductor muscle. Just be careful and don't push too hard or stay in a strained position too long.

Sparring is honesty the rest is art.

"If you allow it, you'll have it."

Ballistic stretching is the worst method. My stretching routines are varied and none aggressive. I stretch in a very relaxed manner without straining myself. I sometimes sit on the top of a slope and let gravity do the work by leaning forward. I stretch with pandiculation in mind and being part of the natural way of doing things.

I agree ballistic stretching is absolutely the worst.

I think I have used every method of stretching. I tore my adductor on one of those $30 martial arts stretching apparatuses. Now, I use a combination of dynamic and static stretches.

On my really stiff days, I try not to push it too much anymore. Why on some days I'm limber and others I'm rigid, is a still a mystery to me. Seems the less I stretch the more limber I get. Go figure.

Sparring is honesty the rest is art.

"If you allow it, you'll have it."

Hi gunner. Stretching is not exactly a complete science as we are all different and our bodies change throughout our lives. There are always tips however that can improve flexibility issues. Many in the health and fitness game have missed an important point when it comes to the topic of flexibility. I'm a pandiculation guru, always spreading the word. Pandiculation is what cats and dogs do every 3 or 4 hours. They stretch their front legs then they stretch their back legs. Pandiculation is considered to be a body yawn. Don't confuse pandiculation with cat stretches that humans do and that is it, far from it. When we are in active our muscles slowly contract, as when sleeping. Stretching our entire body after sleeping is so natural and refreshing. Oh what a beautiful morning type of stretch that are used in advertisements. As we get older, many forget to do this and slide out of bed and walk stiff and frumpy. Continuing the day like this, sliding their feet and hunching their back. Pandiculation stretches are intended to reset the length of muscles and or prepare muscles to do a specific task. So before getting out of bed in the morning, pandiculate your muscles. There is much to discover on this pandiculation subject, but this is enough to get going on.

So now you have pandiculated your muscles to start the day and reset their length.

But you want more flexibility right! Then you will need to lengthen them right! To lengthen them on one side and weaken them while on the other side is to strengthen and contract them. What usally happens is contracting both sides and this will make a person less flexible 'stiff'. PNF stretching exercises are the recommended norm to improve flexibility and strength.

Joints need attention also because they are a contributing factor for flexibility. Plenty of liquids and fresh air are also other factors.

Spindling is an important factor to overcome. It is a trigger mechanism the body has to contract a muscle when in pain or discomfort. If you can communicate with your subconscious and be gentle enough when stretching, your subconscious will allow you to stretch further. This is why meditation and stretching are important for doing Yoga.

Over stretching by bouncing will get results but overall flexibility will stagnate because of muscle scarring, scarred muscles looses the elasticity factor that muscles started off with. Muscles are designed to stretch, it is the elasticity factor that needs to be kept while lengthening them.

Stretching while moving with some grace is also beneficial while avoiding jerky movements. Dance can add to this stretching while moving, giving strength and some fluidity to your motions. Light slow stretch kicking or pointing with your toes are always going to do you more good than harm.

Listening to your body is something we can all do with a little more of. Massages on certain muscles and gentle limbering up movements can help flexibility issues, without any doubts.

You can or anyone can stretch indiscreetly all day long. While walking or waiting to cross the street. Waiting for a bus or just waiting in general.

While watching tv or eating breakfast, lunch or dinner. While doing house work or washing dishes. While having a bath or a shower... Washing the car. Climbing stairs. Cleaning the windows. Cleaning most things need some stretching movments; make an exercise out of it.

Stretching with heat and cold is another factor that can be elaborated on if you are interested.

The true master is the one that can master himself. This includes having mastery over one's own muscles and body.