• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
hapkido was developed from akido just as taekwon do was from karate..so yes alot of similarities..excellent martial art

Not a big deal people get that confused. :) Aikido and Hapkido came from the same art of Daito Ryu Aiki-Jutsu. Both Morihei Ueshiba (Aikido's founder) and Choi, Yong-Sool (Hapkido's founder) trained in the same art (Daito Ryu) and story has it under the same teacher (Sokaku Takeda). So there are some similarities between Hapkido and Aikido. Going over technique and theory with Daito Ryu practitioners, it seems to me, that Hapkido (depending on which style of Hapkido you train in) has a closer connection to Daito Ryu than to Aikido.

Just my humble opinion. :)

Chris LaCava

Jung Ki Kwan of Connecticut

"Man is born soft and supple,

in death he is hard and rigid..." LaoTzu

Quite possibly Chris, Aikido techniques have been further refined by O Sensei, and therefore changed from the much more physical Daito Ryu cousin. Bruce K. Frantzis is very knowledgable on the Wudang Kung Fu (soft styles). He has theorised that when O Sensei was in China and Mongolea acting as a body guard, he learnt Ba Gua and Hsing-i chuen. This could be a reason for the widing of the gap between Aikido and Aikijutsu, as Aikido is really the only true Japanese internal style, so influenced by the Wudang.

Take Care.

One of the biggest diferences between the two arts is that Aikido is large circle and Hapkido is small circle. But it doesn' end there. Even with Tomiki Aikido, who do small circle movements, there is almost no striking. In Aikido they try and achieve their goal by inflicting as little damage as possible. I believe that is the Buddist influence. In Hapkido, even though we try and do only as much damage as needed, if you pose a great threat then all bets are off and you can be guarenteed to go to the hospital. We are taught proper use of force but also to be as aggressive as needed to survive. As well, Hapkido covers every aspect of fighting extensively, from striking, ground fighting, throws, pressure/pain points, joint locking and manipulation, joint breaking, kicking, weapons. You name it we cover it. And we strive to be as proficient in each area as the specialty fighters who train in spacifics, ie- striking, kicking, ect.

2nd Dan Hap Ki Do: What we do in life echos for an eternity!

One of the biggest diferences between the two arts is that Aikido is large circle and Hapkido is small circle. But it doesn' end there. Even with Tomiki Aikido, who do small circle movements, there is almost no striking. In Aikido they try and achieve their goal by inflicting as little damage as possible. I believe that is the Buddist influence. In Hapkido, even though we try and do only as much damage as needed, if you pose a great threat then all bets are off and you can be guarenteed to go to the hospital. We are taught proper use of force but also to be as aggressive as needed to survive. As well, Hapkido covers every aspect of fighting extensively, from striking, ground fighting, throws, pressure/pain points, joint locking and manipulation, joint breaking, kicking, weapons. You name it we cover it. And we strive to be as proficient in each area as the specialty fighters who train in spacifics, ie- striking, kicking, ect.

This is exactly why i wish had a few Hapkido only dojo's around. We have zero, none, nada...