• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I have never been one to follow sports. I would like to start following MMA. I don't know where to start. I don't want to have to start by doing pay-per-view. I don't know the fighters other than a few because they are everywhere you look, so I don't have any preconceived notions on who to follow. Where do I start?

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know." ~ Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

in what arts are you interested in?

for example would you especially like to see how judo or karate or whatever does in mma?

basically i can recommend watching fights of lower weight classes and women. usually much more technical and faster.

I am not not really watching to see how different styles match up. Just to watch.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

Thanks for the advise on lighter classes and the women fights.

Is there a season to fight sports like football or baseball?

I would suggest UFC, particularly the welterweight division. The champ is Robbie Lawler, a long time MMA veteran that seems to be having a career resurgence. There are a lot of tough fighters in that division leading to some awesome matchups.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

UFC puts on a PPV once a month, and they have free fight nights televised every few months. Bellator is another organization that broadcasts on Spike TV. They have some pretty good talent as well.

The matches are year round.

Seek Perfection of Character

Be Faithful

Endeavor

Respect others

Refrain from violent behavior.

Thanks a lot guys

There is no season in MMA. There are 3 main MMA leagues: UFC, Bellator, & Invicta (an all-women's league).

Fights are broken down by weight classes where the fighters can weigh no more than 1 lb over the weight limit. For the men, the weight classes are 125 lbs, 135 lbs, 145 lbs, 155, lbs, 170 lbs, 185 lbs, 205 lbs & (I think) 270 lbs. UFC has only 2 weight classes for the women: 115 lbs & 135 lbs. Invicta has weight classes from 105 lbs to (I believe) 155.

For non title fights, there are 3 5 minute rounds. Title fights (or main event fights) are 5 five minute rounds. 4 ounce fingerless gloves are worn. No pads on the feet or shins.

Kicks, punches, knees & elbows are allowed. A fighter can win by either decision, submission, or knock out.

Some current bigger name fighters are Conor McGregor, Ronda Rousey, Miesha Tate, Holly Holm, Nate Diaz, Demetrius Johnson, & Jose Aldo.

I hope that helps a bit.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton