• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

getting into Krav Maga

Hi people, I'm thinking about learning Krav Maga and was wanting to know somethings about it. I'm a wee bit over wait and would like to get back into the Martial arts. I stopped as a kid[i was at a orange belt and possibly 5] in Goju-ryu Karate. That is my favorite and preferred style but can't find a dojo that teaches that in my area. So I have decided to potentially start doing Krav Maga. I was waning to know mainly if there is some form of belts in Krav Maga? The reason is I feel that would make me feel more connected to my preferred style. Also I was just wanting some pointers on KM . I'm a bit overweight and I'm 18 I fond I really like martial arts that is about the only athletic thing besides soccer I really like. any tips or suggestions would be great thanks.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The usual reply is appropriate here - go check them out. Some Krav schools have belts and some don't. I have no idea what the proportion is nor what it says about the program.

What I do know is that any Krav program is likely to be drastically different from any Goju program, especially when comparing adult Krav to kids' Goju.

John - ASE Martial Arts Supply

https://www.asemartialarts.com

I've had an interest in Krav Maga, but there's no school near me. Right now I have become involved in Ketsu Ka and like it very much. I think Krav mega is a good thing to learn though IMHO.

It's better to be a warrior in a garden than a gardener in a war

I've had some exposure to Krav (Krav Maga Worldwide), and have enjoyed the training and the methodologies behind it. However, its one of those styles that has had some branch-off, and not all of it is good. Go check out the school you are looking to attend, and ask questions about what they are about and how they approach teaching, to see that it is what you want to do. If you are looking for a more "traditional" approach to training, you probably won't find it at a Krav school. But that doesn't mean the training won't be good, either.

Go watch a class if you can, and ask some questions. Then come and let us know what you found out.

• 4 weeks later...

There are no less than 3 different Krav Maga schools here in Lexington, which isn't that big of a city, and from observation they seem to be teaching and practicing quite different material. Having said that, maybe it would be a good idea to look into what Krav Mage is supposed to resemble from a reputable source before visiting a school? The quality of instruction also varies considerably as well, yet that often holds true with any schools of the same or different styles. A class-mate takes some Krav Maga in addition to our regular classes and likes it a great deal. Apparently, the idea with Krav Maga is to focus on self-defense techniques and not form or technique itself, at least that's what I'm told. Anyway, my advice would be to find out what Krav Maga is supposed to look like in practice, visit a school (or two) and decide if you like it.

• 1 month later...

Take a trial class. Watch a class. Ask if they have a belt system.

Gather as much theory on Krave Maga as possible, so you can ask the right questions to the instructor.

Do you want to join the Israeli military or is your interest just for fun?

Know what you want first or you will get what you are given.