• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Differences in TKD and TSD

I went to my buddy's school a couple times, and they taught me Taegeuk Il Jang. I showed them all the forms I knew at the time - Pal Gwe Il Jang through Saa Jang (I've since learned Oh Jang.) There are substantial differences. When I showed them Saa Jang, the instructor who was present said that it reminded him of his third black belt form. Learning the Taegeuk form was a bit strange - the walking stances felt really shallow. They kept correcting me, as I was trying to go into deeper stances, as allmost all of our stances so far are a deep front or back stance (Saa Jang has a bit of variation with standing knife hand strikes, and low blocks in a horse stance.)

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to my buddy's school a couple times, and they taught me Taegeuk Il Jang. I showed them all the forms I knew at the time - Pal Gwe Il Jang through Saa Jang (I've since learned Oh Jang.) There are substantial differences. When I showed them Saa Jang, the instructor who was present said that it reminded him of his third black belt form. Learning the Taegeuk form was a bit strange - the walking stances felt really shallow. They kept correcting me, as I was trying to go into deeper stances, as allmost all of our stances so far are a deep front or back stance (Saa Jang has a bit of variation with standing knife hand strikes, and low blocks in a horse stance.)

Yes it definitely is awkward doing stances that small, I find there is some value in them though. Will you always have deep stances when attacked?

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

Yes it definitely is awkward doing stances that small, I find there is some value in them though. Will you always have deep stances when attacked?

Nope. Our fighting stances are more natural. There is a bit of a disconnect between our forms and application.

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

• 4 weeks later...

Nope. Our fighting stances are more natural. There is a bit of a disconnect between our forms and application.

Pretty much the same disconnect for all traditional martial arts.