• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Differences in TKD and TSD

Out of the two, I still think ITF is closer to Shotokan kata than the Kukkiwon equivalents. They essentially just copied and pasted them and added a TKD twist. Loads of examples of this:]

I think you would be well adviced to go over the Shotokan Katas again, because the Kukkiwon copied and pasted them as well.

I've never studied the Kukkiwon poomse so maybe I don't know. Can you give an example?

With the Chang Hon forms there are direct comparisons, e.g. Heian Nidan and Won Hyo. Can you give an example of a Kukkiwon form which matches a Shotokan kata?

All Heian forms are present in the tageuk coloured patterns, just like the ITF. They switched move orders and techniques, that's all. If there's a knee in the Shotokan Kata, there might be a front kick instead, and vice versa.

Just because there is a high block or low block in a form does not make it the same as a Shotokan form. I have studied Taegeuk forms and I am a 2nd dan in a Tang Soo Do based System (recently promoted) which are directly taken from the Shotokan Heian forms. I can’t se ANYTHING the same with WTF forms and would feel extremely confident saying they are NOT the same, not because there are small differences as you mentioned, but because there are only small similarities.

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heian form 1

Taeguek form 1

https://youtu.be/EsHoF3xKpBs

Very different!

Brian started up a very good thread looking at similarities and differences:

https://www.karateforums.com/tkd-forms-a-running-comparison-vt47646.html

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Heian form 1

Taeguek form 1

Very different!

Brian started up a very good thread looking at similarities and differences:

https://www.karateforums.com/tkd-forms-a-running-comparison-vt47646.html

Thanks, I checked it out, I actually see I posted on it. In reading my last post it appears my view has not really changed on the matter.

I have conversed with you on a few occasions about the history of things and it is clear you know more than me about it because that isn’t an area that excites me to understand. Judging by the history one may say that it comes from something, but from what I see whether it originally came from a particular style or not it has clearly deviated from that system a great deal.

Applications that can be used, even the muscles being used are very different. In fact Tae Kwon Do in my experience has always focused much less on applications in general as it is.

Just more spouting off on these topics lol.

Heian form 1

Taeguek form 1

Very different!

That is only one type of walking stance for punches and blocks. There is also a lower stance prevalent in later forms identical to the Shotokan one.

Nice try.

I like the nice try at the end there lol. I simply took the most basic form from Each.

The patterns are not the same, the techniques are not the same, the stances are not the same, yes in some forms a traditional front stance which is prevalent in most traditional martial arts is present. I would prefer if you presented me with some type of facts showing how these patterns and techniques are the same.

Please reference this Tang Soo Do form with the form I posted from Shotokan. You will see that it clearly derived from the Shotokan form sir. I’m always open for these topics but please help me to understand the same for the WTF forms. Thanks.

Tang Soo Do “Pyong Ahn Cho Dan

I think the older WTF forms, the Pal Gwe forms, were much closer to the Shotokan origin, but as time went on, the WTF made a very visible effort to differentiate what they did from Shotokan, and so the newer forms were designed and they moved forward from there, and also focused on the differences in sparring.

I think the older WTF forms, the Pal Gwe forms, were much closer to the Shotokan origin, but as time went on, the WTF made a very visible effort to differentiate what they did from Shotokan, and so the newer forms were designed and they moved forward from there, and also focused on the differences in sparring.

Good to see you buddy.

I don’t know old WTF BUT the argument on my end is referring to the specific forms mentioned, Taeguek if I understood right! I have studied those, and WTF under black belt. No matter where it originated from it’s clearly bread into its own thing, and I can’t see any Shotokan. I have never practiced Shotokan exclusively however I do understand the history of Tang Soo ado and the undeniable connection of our forms to Shotokan.

WTF TKD does not have those undeniable similarities, although as I said I lack the knowledge of the WTF’s specific history. Regardless, as you said it has clearly evolved differently.