• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The essence of Martial Arts

Close your eyes and picture this:

You are walking in your local super market, you are with your grandparent. And as you are doing your shopping and minding your own bussiness, 3 drunks stumble towards you.

All these thoughts flash though your mind, what if these guys come for you, but what about your Grandparent. Do you fight or just try and get out of it. But what if they hurt someone you love?

To cut to the chase, nothing happened. Luckly, some security guys turned up. But all I can about is how annoyed I am at myself for letting fear get to me.

I guess I now know the true essence of Martial Arts. Whether I understand it or not is another matter.

Take Care.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
If they did come for me, I'd do my best to finish things quickly and protect my grandparent. However, I wouldn't be overly eager to jump into things. I think the essence of martial arts is (in a modern sense) much more focused on protection than a technique that will kill or destroy an opponent.

No need to explain your "feeling" to me Kensai!

I was in a similar situation (which I posted in Strategy forum). I hope to write an article regarding this "essence" you speak of.

For whatever reason, we martial artists are gifted with a heightened sense of self preservation to the extent that we may tend to always think the worse. Well, that's how I was for quite some time until I got sick of it.... always thinking the worse, -- always on my guard, --- always looking about taking care not to look down as I may fall prey to an attacker. At times it can get the best of you and you start thinking "Geez, is this anyway to conduct my daily living?" ... and my answer to that is YES!

See, when I was at the "neighborhood" grocery store minding my own business I did "notice" this teenager who was always in my "area" ... I decided to give him the benefit of my doubt ... not not think the worse of this given situation.... and where did it land me??? He robbed me and violated my "trust"..... Well, no more! I'm going back to giving everyone I "suspect" the "on my guard" approach. Whatever the situation may be... you are not given a chance to "think" about what you are going to do. You just DO IT! Like I did when this kid ran off with my pocketbook. Did I stand there and say "Hmmm should I bother running after him?" I ran ...RAN HARD (thank goodness for my cardio classes!) and I screamed so loud I think a blood vessel popped in my lungs! And if I caught him... well, I'd rather not think about what I would have done. I guess it was a good thing I didn't!

Like I said it is a gift ... trust your instincts.

It's better to be safe.... than sorry!

Cheers for understanding my train of thought.

Sometimes your training or your "martial" rather than art training, is usless. If some attacker can paralyse you with fear even before he has done anything. I have been reading and studing the Bushido for sometime. I just dont know how the Bush (Samurai) did it. Fearless.

I guess I will slowly understand as I get better.

But the key to a good MAist is like you said Readiness. Without thought, the Japanese call it Mushin. Its an amazing concept.

But this teaching from O Sensei Ueshiba gives me an interesting insight:

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered,

those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.

Thus the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win."

Take Care KickChick

Well you never start a fight. I mean you can't say that guys is looking at me funny and walk up and smack him. He may be looking at you funny because he is going to attack or he just might always look funny. LOL.

We can always look back and say I should have done this or that but as MA we have to know their is no First Attack. No the situation changes if they make statements that they are comming or whatever but you can't act without reason.

(General George S. Patton Jr.) "It's the unconquerable soul of man, and not the nature of the weapon he uses, that ensures victory."

There's nothing wrong with "awareness". You are trained for that in MA to AVOID a situation. You are trained to "read" your suroundings. Like Kickchick, I put my gaurd down once, and got attacted. Thank God I walked away, he didn't :D

I think if your situation did get worse, I think I would have fought for the grandparent, not myself. Only because I know that they couldn't defend themselves.

Laurie F

Awareness. This is the key and having your guard UP. And of course know when to walk away.

You all said it very well and now I come to recall an unpleasant encounter I had with a drunk man. I was almost sure it would become a "tournament" so I looked at him very attentive. It's unbelievable, but I wasn't scared. I was watching him as I would watch a punching bag, thinking in a second where should I plant my punch or kick.

I looked again. He was cursing and having problems with ballance. Hmm I'm not punching a guy who couldn't understand the seriousness of this situation ... so I turned away and walked. He followed. I was ready to knock him down if he would have come closer. Well I was faster. He was still cursing, when I got very far. And I didn't have to run. Fight this wreck? i've got my honour :)

I'm glad though I didn't have to fight. Not because I'm coward, but because this would "stain" something in me. Whatever the ending ... it would be sad and frustrating ...

And remember ... "When 2 tigers fight, one will die and the other would get serious wounded. "And why?