• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

whats it called?

this is a little hard for me to word correctly so i'll try to describe the situation the best i can.

i kickbox and grapple. i just recently quit both. i still practice and spar alot though. with the knowledge i already have, im working on being a self taught shootfighter. im planning on adding my own special touch to it to basicly make it my own kinda style (it wont really be a style, just what works for me and whatever else i add to it.) so what is the correct name for shootfighting? i've heard people call it Vale Tudo and other things. i'd seem a little silly if someone asks what my style is based from and i told them i didn't know the name of it. :lol:

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, "shootfighting" is the correct term .... it is a hybrid sport which combines Muay Thai kickboxing and submission wrestling/Jujitsu.

Here's a little "history" behind the "name"

Shootfighting is a complete art in stand fighting and grappling. It is a little over 25 years old. A famous German wrestler taught the art of real wrestling, or "shooting", to a group of top Japanese martial artists. Two of these Japanese martial artists, Masami Soranaka, a practitioner of karate, judo and sumo, and Yoshiaki Fujiwara, a muay Thai kick boxing champion and judo expert, combined their knowledge of these diverse styles and created what has come to be known in Japan as UWF wrestling or the hard style. The sport's popularity has grown and is now the third most popular spectator sport in Japan behind baseball and sumo.

Bart Vale, who coined the term "shootfighting" to describe the style, combined the wrestling and Muay Thai techniques he learned in Japan with his experience in American karate and kick boxing to advance the sport even further.

I follow some ameteur mixed martial arts/shootfighting, and a lot of people call their style "shhotfighting", while others don't even name a real "style" and have put on the fightcard "freestyle", "vale tudo", "mixed martial arts", "hybrid", or similar.

1st dan Tae Kwon Do

Yellow Belt Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

16 Years Old

Girls kick butt!

Guess I really come from another planet ;D

shootfighing? vale tudo? Hmm are you sure we are talking English here?

Well that's your advantage (or not) for living in USA :)

Here in Tmiisoara there's a guy teaching a style called DELTA? Has anybody heard of this or do we have here a big fraud ?

Guess I really come from another planet ;D

shootfighing? vale tudo? Hmm are you sure we are talking English here?

:) Hey no problem ramymensa .... There are far too many martial arts out there that even here in the US we are unacquainted with!

Now Delta? hmmm ... not sure what that could be. Possibly a fighting hybrid style

Shootfighting is the style of Bart Vale, and the name is a registered trademark. His website is:

http://www.2shoot.com/

Thank you KickChick for making me feel better about my lack of knowledge :)

I've visited the link you provided. Hmmm Interesting, but no thanks :) I think that style is too "hardcore" for a girl :) And I also like my pijamas.

Abot another link ... http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/knifefighting.html ...

Very intersting. Thank you again. I'm reading the stuff now at the same time with browsing the forum :)

Hey no problem.... That is what is so darn great about this forum ... you never (ever) stop learning! It is such an eye opener :o !

Yes that second link was about Self Defense/knife fighting thread ...

http://www.karateforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=5008&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

There are some awesome combat-related styles and self defense training courses out there .. and I would truly suggest that every martial artist take at least one course or workshop on close quarter self defense or a CDT workshop. In fact I am doing one this weekend!

As a woman....true, some of them might be too hardcore.... but look at Krav Maga ... alot of females involved (maybe thanks to J-Lo) ... hmm...maybe "shootfighting" is next!