• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

what kata has your attention at the moment?

Oshishinobu

For me, while I love every form that we do, it's got to be Empi/Wanshu.

It was my main grading kata (Empi) for my 1st Dan in Shotokan karate 14 years ago and it was my grading form (Wanshu) when I went for my 2nd Dan in Tang Soo Do.

And I'm still learning the form now, not just the movements but the different applications: strikes, kicks, throws, locks, etc... :)

Empi is one of my favs, i am a big guy so Empi is always a good way to surprise folks lol. here a question do you sweep the fingers or just open the hand after the age-tsuki?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I practiced Shotokan regularly, both... I use to train with two different associations, once association came out of Kanazawa sensei's group - this one we did the "sweeping" (as a grab), the other association came out of the JKA - this one opened the hand (as a strike).

With Tang Soo Do, we just do the punch in the form. However when we practice the applications we do both types, depending on which application we apply :)

-Ken

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

When I practiced Shotokan regularly, both... I use to train with two different associations, once association came out of Kanazawa sensei's group - this one we did the "sweeping" (as a grab), the other association came out of the JKA - this one opened the hand (as a strike).

With Tang Soo Do, we just do the punch in the form. However when we practice the applications we do both types, depending on which application we apply :)

-Ken

awesome!!! your name KEN!!! my name is Ken lol and so is my sensei lol

but enough geeking out lol. yeah with the ISKF, Okazaki's group, we used to do the sweep but recently they made the switch to the quick open. Personally i prefer the sweep I image striking under the chin and and "cutting" at the eyes before i move in for the throw. I like that though just a simple punch the opening hand seems almost an after thought when a punch would do a fine job.

• 1 month later...

Not karate, and even more surprising it's me posting about a form I'm focused on right now :lol:

I'm involved in the FMA's as a secondary art these days and I'm spending a lot of time in Dakup y Punjo. It's a mid range Doce Methods form that deals with an exchange of timing and initiating attacking with parts of the sword other than the blade at close range as well isolating the attacking arm.

Not karate, and even more surprising it's me posting about a form I'm focused on right now :lol:

I'm involved in the FMA's as a secondary art these days and I'm spending a lot of time in Dakup y Punjo. It's a mid range Doce Methods form that deals with an exchange of timing and initiating attacking with parts of the sword other than the blade at close range as well isolating the attacking arm.

By any chance, Alex, do you have a video of Dakup y Punjo?

Thanks!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Thanks!

I don't out right now. I'll try to shoot one.

Thanks!

I don't out right now. I'll try to shoot one.

Thanks, Alex; I'll be looking for it!!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I'm actually spending some time focusing attention on Tekki Nidan / Naihanchi nidan which I don't actually know yet. In Shotokan this is one of my next test katas and at the Shorin club I attend it's my children's next test kata.

My kids and have been practicing the bunkai because that is part of the belt test at the Shorin club. Due to the odd number of students in class I got to be the bunkai dummy. I really enjoy the bunkai for this kata and I hope to be able to bring it back to my Shotokan friends when I train with them. Most of them don't know the many of the bunkai options for Tekki Nidan.

So I've got some learning to do.

WildBourgMan

I'm actually spending some time focusing attention on Tekki Nidan / Naihanchi nidan which I don't actually know yet. In Shotokan this is one of my next test katas and at the Shorin club I attend it's my children's next test kata.

My kids and have been practicing the bunkai because that is part of the belt test at the Shorin club. Due to the odd number of students in class I got to be the bunkai dummy. I really enjoy the bunkai for this kata and I hope to be able to bring it back to my Shotokan friends when I train with them. Most of them don't know the many of the bunkai options for Tekki Nidan.

So I've got some learning to do.

Soo cool always thought it would be very inspiring as a shotokan guy to try out Shorin ryu. OSU awesome job brother!