• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Semi knockdown kumite at 50+?

hammer

So I decided (against the voices in my head!) to give semi-contact another go in a few weeks...

Main hope is that I go into this a little more prepared mentally. Think I have been getting a lot of good training in being more "technical" when fighting...it's a matter of applying it when I'm getting full contact fists, feet, and knees flying at me.

Conditioning and intensity had to take a back seat for a few weeks due to a broken toe but that appears to be healed well enough for now.

Think my cardio and strength is about where I can have it...and if it isn't I'll have to work with what I have.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Well, why not!! 50 years old is not the end the road!! 50 years old is just a state of the mind, even though, 50 years, is 50 years!! Age is just a number! Having said that, I would still visit my doctor to get the once over to be sure that everything is up to par, as it should be at 50 years old.

That's just me!!

Have fun...train hard...train well!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Made it through...had it easy, very small tournament so only one fight against a pretty well matched opponent. Still lost by decision but we first went to a draw and fought an extension round.

Still have a ways to go on the mental preparation. I was able to be more aggressive this time, but I wasn't to the point where I could capitalize on opportunities to really dominate the fight. Can still improve on the cardio as well...

Ribs will be sore for a while (opponent's go to move was a quite effective shita tsuki), but I otherwise feel fine.

No matter the outcome, I'm of the opinion that YOU DID IT, no matter what!! Now that the initial experience is behind you, the next time, if there's one, will be more relaxed, and not so overwhelming.

I bow to you!!

:bowofrespect:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Thanks!

I'll definitely continue to do Kata competitions...will have to see how things go for the semi contact fighting. I feel like I could go right out there again but that will change with time...

• 2 months later...

Fighting at senior level is "Open water territory"

As in things could turn out fine or could turn out bad.

As a senior martial artists I don't have a need to prove anything to anyone; my glory days are gone.

Wearing protective gear would be a bonus however, something I wish I was wearing a couple of years ago, when I upset a youth gang; Opppsss!

Point being, fighting in the streets or in tournaments is for the youths of today; senior martial artists should know better; personally I haven't learned this lesson yet.

"Live by the sword die by the sword"