• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Differentiated opinions between examiners

Melau

Currently I'm training for my Sandan. In the Netherlands examinations for Dan grades are organized nationally, and so are many of the preperation trainings for these exams.

The further I've gotten in my karate career, the more I notice that fewer people have the knowledge about the curriculum, but the more they have to say about it / differ in opinion. I'm at a point where on the one hand I know I have to find my personal way in the style, but also want to know more and more about the details and original way of doing things. But many of the high graded examiners within my country have different opinions on how things need to be performed / excecuted.

Anybody else had similar experiences and if so, how did you deal with it?

Melau,

Can I take it from your profile picture that you are with the WIKF?

Is the "national" grading / training you refer to a multi Wado group event or is it just WIKF?

If it's the later - as others have said, there may well be small differences between instructors (such is the Shu-Ha-Ri of things).

If it is a Multi organisation event you will see more apparent differences, but the core Wado principles should remain firmly intact.

So why the differences?

Human nature aside, you have to bear in mind the on-going development of Wado-ryu that Otsuka sensei undertook right up until his death in the 1980's

The Wado he (and therefore many of his early students such as Suzuki sensei) practiced in the 1940's and 50's evolved through the 60's and 70's to the point where techniques and kata were "tweaked" - in some cases quite considerably!

I have heard it likened to software updates! The Wado that Suzuki sensei was taught prior to him coming to Europe in the 1960's was perhaps Wado version 2.1 whereas some of his later students that remained with Otsuka in Japan (such as Takagi sensei) were practicing Wado version 3.2. This lead to Wado-ka in Europe practicing a slightly different Wado to those of the JKF in Japan.

Then we have a further development when Otsuka left the Wado-kai to set up the Wado-ryu Renmei.

When you take this into account - there is no wonder you see the variation of Wado-ryu you do out there - and that's just between the 3 main Wado groups - before we start talking about the break away groups.

K.

Usque ad mortem bibendum!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Differing opinions on technique will always appear at surface level. But shouldn't go any deeper.

My teacher was trained by Sakai sensei, but was influenced by a local Shotokan instructor early on. So the Wado I was taught had all of the underlying principles, taught the same Kihon, Sanbon, Ohyo Kumite and Kata, however the stances and movements were slightly more exaggerated. Normally, you'd never pick it, but lined up against other Wado practionitioners it was obvious.

I must admit though, we tend to allow a lot fewer alterations than other styles. Something to do with the split maybe, between Ohtsuka and the Wado Kai. I'm not sure. But just about every instructor I've met has been very much stuck in their way. So it's strange to hear of differences arising at a national level.

As was mentioned before, training and grading are different things. If you want to grade, prepare to do what they want. Simple.

If the examiners differ between themselves, then they need to be held to account by the governing body. At the end of the day, they're there to grade YOU. If you feel your grading may be made difficult due to the fact one of the examiners likes to put his own spin on the syllabus, then get onto your instructor/superior and let them know. If this isn't a viable option, alert another examiner of your concerns. Odds are they'd be aware and share your concerns.

Can I take it from your profile picture that you are with the WIKF?

Is the "national" grading / training you refer to a multi Wado group event or is it just WIKF?

K.

I truly liked your post, it gives a comprehensive overview of how things can change and how to view it.

The national grading is as far as I know not officially WIKF, but it is a single wado group event. The line and curriculum is quite clear. Personal preference between for instance Ohtsuka or Suzuki forms in tanto-dori or kata is accepted, but need to be done consequently and well argumented. However, even taking that into account, still differences are present in the explanation between instructors / examiners.

"The ultimate aim of the art of karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the characters of its participants."

Gichin Funakoshi

The line and curriculum is quite clear. Personal preference between for instance Ohtsuka or Suzuki forms in tanto-dori or kata is accepted, but need to be done consequently and well argumented. However, even taking that into account, still differences are present in the explanation between instructors / examiners.

Here's the thing... Kata like Tanto-dori were never "officially" taught by Otsuka sensei. He only ever used them as demonstration pieces.

Given that they were never an official kata of the Wado-kai, there is no wonder subjectivity creeps in.

K.

One striking difference in the kata between the Otsuka videos and the later instructors is the height of kicks. Do you think that was deliberate?

More than likely old age, although there is something to be said about the different kicking methods utilised by some of the older Koryu traditions.