• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Because of you, I didn't give up

During years of hard training week after week, it's easy to want to give up, at times. Without mentioning full names, who did you look up to in your school or organization who motivated you to keep going when it was hard?

For me, there have been MANY. But here's a few:

My 1st master, who made me feel, no matter how much I struggled, that I could do anything.

Jason, who was the 1st one in the the gym & the last one to leave every time the gym was open.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I know it sounds stupid, but I never needed motivation to keep going in the MA. There were, and will always be times I feel like no matter how hard I try, I'm not improving. But not once have I told myself I'd be letting someone else down by leaving. The dojo was there long before I was and will continue after I'm gone (not that I plan on leaving).

I know it sounds stupid, but I never needed motivation to keep going in the MA. There were, and will always be times I feel like no matter how hard I try, I'm not improving. But not once have I told myself I'd be letting someone else down by leaving. The dojo was there long before I was and will continue after I'm gone (not that I plan on leaving).

I don't think that's stupid. But I would say it's rare. Internal motivation to train is fantastic!!!

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

I've only been training 2 years so there are still constant short term goals to hit.

That said I don't think I need shiny new belts for motivation.

Karate has quickly become a passion and a habit has formed.

I'm out of action at the moment and I'm hating it and eager to return.

Ask me again when I'm dan grade and pats on the back are few and far between!

As corny, and as predictable as it might be...it's always been the smiles at the times of my students' AHA moments...that has always been my motivation!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

When I was training in New York, I had this unbelievable drive to become a cage fighter. I thought there were so many secrets in karate that could help me, and I was right. But as I got better my interest in Karate increased and my interest in becoming a cage fighter faded away. My Sensei played a HUGE part in keeping me interested and guiding me through the hard times. Now that I don't have him to teach me anymore, I can't get enough (just like before). I keep training, not just because I love it more than anything, but because I hope to train under my first Sensei again someday.

This is going to sound a bit corny, but it was my own struggles that kept me motivated. Whether it was a fellow student who told me I couldn't do it, or something my teenage mind decided was tragedy that re-focused my will, it was always pushing through my own short comings that let to my greatest accomplishments. Karate taught me how to do that, and it has translated fantastically into other aspects of my life.

Martial arts training is 30% classroom training, 70% solo training.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

This is going to sound a bit corny, but it was my own struggles that kept me motivated. Whether it was a fellow student who told me I couldn't do it, or something my teenage mind decided was tragedy that re-focused my will, it was always pushing through my own short comings that let to my greatest accomplishments. Karate taught me how to do that, and it has translated fantastically into other aspects of my life.

Not corny at all. Noting one's own struggles as motivation to continue is great. And more than likely, you are an inspiration to those around you.