• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Fundies attacking martial arts, help.

Interesting topic.

Having been raised in a Baptist Church, and educated in religious schools, however never a professional religious person I have my thoughts on the subject.

Traditionally Martial Arts has deep connections to Eastern Religions. Traditionally many aspects of Christianity have deep roots in various pagan practices over the centuries. The Catholic Church in its quest for power would create Saints out of pagan deities to better win allegiance. I am sure they were not the first organized religion to do so either. What sect of Christianity? Most Christian sects cannot agree with each other, not to mention disagreements within single churches. Even a top down power structure like the Catholic church has many variances. Which Catholic, Roman, Eastern/Russian/Greek Orthodox? It is life. While I don't practice Karate to deepen my spiritual connection or practice in any of the Eastern religions, I respect that other do. I am in it for exercise, fun, learning, and time with my daughter.

I can see how some fundamentalists or Christian sects that teach non-violence/pacifism would have problems because of the fighting aspect and the connection with Eastern religion. But their beliefs neither break my bones nor pick my pocket. One does not need to subscribe to Buddhist Theology (is it theology, many consider it more a belief system not a religion) to do the forms and enjoy the physicality of Kung Fu.

I don't define Christianity as the WBC. I don't define Islam by Isis. I see them as powers that have found a way to maintain or grow. The choices made by the members are committed and owned by those individuals. The leadership in those groups (as in any group) also make and own their choices.

Edited by LLLEARNER

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know." ~ Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting topic.

Having been raised in a Baptist Church, and educated in religious schools, however never a professional religious person I have my thoughts on the subject.

Traditionally Martial Arts has deep connections to Eastern Religions. Traditionally many aspects of Christianity have deep roots in various pagan practices over the centuries. The Catholic Church in its quest for power would create Saints out of pagan deities to better win allegiance. I am sure they were not the first organized religion to do so either. What sect of Christianity? Most Christian sects cannot agree with each other, not to mention disagreements within single churches. Even a top down power structure like the Catholic church has many variances. Which Catholic, Roman, Eastern/Russian/Greek Orthodox? It is life. While I don't practice Karate to deepen my spiritual connection or practice in any of the Eastern religions, I respect that other do. I am in it for exercise, fun, learning, and time with my daughter.

I can see how some fundamentalists or Christian sects that teach non-violence/pacifism would have problems because of the connection with Easter religion. But their beliefs neither break my bones nor pick my pocket. One does not need to subscribe to Buddhist Theology (is it theology, many consider it more a belief system not a religion) to do the forms and enjoy the physicality of Kung Fu.

I don't define Christianity as the WBC. I don't define Islam by Isis. I see them as powers that have found a way to maintain or grow. The choices made by the members are committed and owned by those individuals. The leadership in those groups (as in any group) also make and own their choices.

Great points well made!

The act of one or a few is used by so many to define all the others its something that to many 'people' do to readily!

“A human life gains luster and strength only when it is polished and tempered.”

Sosai Masutatsu Oyama (1923 - 1994) Founder of Kyokushin Karate.

A certain group of zealots, fundamentalist christians have convinced themselves that somehow martial arts are "of the devil", "dangerous for the soul" and otherwise "evil".

It would be preferable to be a polite and courteous as possible, because the rebuttal is addressed to close family members

Give them a personal example and ask them if they really think YOU are "of the devil", "dangerous for the soul" and otherwise "evil"...