• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Celebrity martial artists

I just found out today that Tom Araya, vocals and bass for Slayer, is an active nidan in Goju Ryu (his wife and children also train with him). It got me thinking it would be a good thread to see who else that's famous is also a martial artist. Off the top of my head...

Ed O'Neil (aka Al Bundy) - Black belt - Rorion Gracie Jujitsu

Bob Barker - Black belt - Chun Kuk Do (Chuck Norris's system and Norris's student)

John Cusack - Kickboxing with Benny "the jet" Urquidez

Who else trains or did? Please no obvious one like Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, etc. And maybe this may come off the wrong way, but please no Billy Blanks's Tae Bo students.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the guys from Black Eyed Peas(?) did/does train in wushu or Kung Fu(which kung fu?). Olympic figure skater Elvis Stojko(?) again kungfu of some sort. It would not be a surprise if other Olympic athletes train in some sort of martial art in addition to their specific sport. As far as major celebrities it may be harder to find. Samuel L Jackson has a high dan grade in some form of karate and perhaps others

Just remembered...

Wesley Snipes - Black belt, I think 5th dan in Shotokan

He hosted that martial arts special when the movie Blade premiered, and I think he was awarded his 5th dan then.

I know there's a lot of actors who've taken some MA training for movie roles, such as Jennifer Lopez took Krav Maga lessons for a movie about being married to an abusive man, but I think we should keep it limited to people who haven't trained for Hollywood roles or just as a form of exercise to keep fit.

Matt Heafy of the band Trivium has a blue belt in BJJ.

Maynard James Keenan of the band Tool has a purple belt in BJJ.

Keanu Reeves has a background in MA.

To search for the old is to understand the new.

The old, the new, this is a matter of time.

In all things man must have a clear mind.

The Way: Who will pass it on straight and well?

- Master Funakoshi

Just off the top of my head...

Elvis Presley - Ed Parker Kenpo

James Caan - Bruce Lee

James Colburn - Bruce Lee

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Just remembered...

He hosted that martial arts special when the movie Blade premiered, and I think he was awarded his 5th dan then.

I know there's a lot of actors who've taken some MA training for movie roles, such as Jennifer Lopez took Krav Maga lessons for a movie about being married to an abusive man, but I think we should keep it limited to people who haven't trained for Hollywood roles or just as a form of exercise to keep fit.

To the bold type above...

Wesley's also a 2nd Dan in Hapkido, and yes, he's a 5th Dan in Shotokan!!

Dolph Lundgren is a 3rd Dan in Kyokushin!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

There's loads of them if you just search for "celebrity blackbelts":

Sean Connery has a (honorary?) blackbelt in Kyokushin Karate.

Vladimir Putin is a Judo blackbelt.

Bear Grylls has a blackbelt in Shotokan

Guy Richie does Judo

Forest Whitaker does Kenpo

Sarah Michelle Gellar has blackbelt in TKD (how else does one beat up vampires?!)

Michael Rooker (Merle in The Walking Dead) does Kyokushin

Dev Patel (Slumdog Millionaire) did TKD

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Just remembered...

To the bold type above...

Wesley's also a 2nd Dan in Hapkido, and yes, he's a 5th Dan in Shotokan!!

Dolph Lundgren is a 3rd Dan in Kyokushin!!

:)

If my memory serves me correct, Dolph Lundgren was a late teen green belt when he won the European Kyokushin Open tournament against adult black belts.