• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wansu Shoulder Throw

Wastelander

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure how many folks here practice a version of Wansu, but it was one of the first kata that I ever learned, and I've been playing with it over the years, trying to make it more like the older versions and working out applications. There is a sequence at the end of the kata where you take up an open-handed jodan/gedan posture, like that seen in Seiyunchin, then strike forward with both hands, then turn the body and rotate the hands. In the version of the kata I was originally taught, the hands actually lifted up into a yama-uke before turning. The application I was shown for this was a judo-style kata guruma (shoulder wheel) throw:

Since then, I have tweaked my Wansu to be more like the Seibukan/Zentokukai version:

I have been surprised to find, over the past several years, that there don't seem to be many other interpretations on this sequence of movements. Pretty much everyone seems to agree that it is intended to be a kata guruma, aside from this application from Angel Lemus Sensei:

Certainly, there are verbal (and, if I recall correctly, some written) suggestions that it is intended to be a "shoulder throw," and of course, kata guruma is certainly effective and useful. In researching karate history and kata applications, however, I found a number of techniques--including other "shoulder throws"--that fit the sequence. Specifically, the "single shoulder throw" shown by Itoman Morinobu in his book, The Study of China Hand Techniques, as well as the katawa guruma (cripple wheel) and yari dama (spearing through) throws shown by Funakoshi Gichin in his books. Since my Sensei and I release a weekly technique video, I decided to share a variation of those throws as an application for this sequence, today:

I'm curious to see what others think of these variations for this sequence, and what other applications you might have?

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt