Class lengh  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Class lengh

• Under 1 hour
    • 1 hour
    • Over an hour, but less than 2.
    • 2 hours
    • 2 hours +

Classes, for the most part, vary depending on age and rank and discipline, anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours.

:)

IMO, a 30 min class is a waste of time. You hardly get a chance to warm up, and it's over.

Naw, a MINIMUM of 1.5 hours..2 is better.

No...a 30 minute class with very young students, 4-5 years old/kindergarten ages, is ideal...or at least, it's been that way for me ever since 1977.

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Classes, for the most part, vary depending on age and rank and discipline, anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours.

IMO, a 30 min class is a waste of time. You hardly get a chance to warm up, and it's over.

No...a 30 minute class with very young students, 4-5 years old/kindergarten ages, is ideal...or at least, it's been that way for me ever since 1977.

Agreed 30 mins is plenty of time for 4-5 year olds. Now how many of these 30 min classes do you guys have? Or do the little kids just get dismissed earlier during normal class time?

Teachers are always learning

Agreed 30 mins is plenty of time for 4-5 year olds. Now how many of these 30 min classes do you guys have? Or do the little kids just get dismissed earlier during normal class time?

Well, our Hombu runs said classes 5 times a day...6 days a week, whereas, in my last dojo, I ran said classes 3 times a day...5 days a week.

Well, our Hombu runs said classes 5 times a day...6 days a week, whereas, in my last dojo, I ran said classes 3 times a day...5 days a week.

5 times a day? What kind of hours are you operating? If you have day time classes (9 to 5), so you get many students attending those?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

5 times a day? What kind of hours are you operating? If you have day time classes (9 to 5), so you get many students attending those?

Remember Danielle, this is all I do...full time, either as Kaicho and/or as CI of the Kyuodan Dojo!! I don't have another job outside of Shindokan.

The Hombu class sizes for the 4-5 years is quite respectable, and it helps that the Hombu isn't in a small town...instead, it's located in the San Fernando Valley...1.8 million people call it home...260 square miles...just North of Hollywood, CA.

At the Kyuodan Dojo, the 3 classes per day for the 5 days per week, my 4-5 year old classes were not as full as the Hombu is, however, still respectable in the range of 6-10 students per class.

Remember Danielle, this is all I do...full time, either as Kaicho and/or as CI of the Kyuodan Dojo!! I don't have another job outside of Shindokan.

The Hombu class sizes for the 4-5 years is quite respectable, and it helps that the Hombu isn't in a small town...instead, it's located in the San Fernando Valley...1.8 million people call it home...260 square miles...just North of Hollywood, CA.

At the Kyuodan Dojo, the 3 classes per day for the 5 days per week, my 4-5 year old classes were not as full as the Hombu is, however, still respectable in the range of 6-10 students per class.

In understand it's a full time occupation for you Bob :) but at the Hombu do you hold the classes 5 pm to 10 pm for example? Or do you have some in the morning and during the day? Most people work 9 to 5 so do you get many people attending these classes during the day? Also are these classes structured differently or are you repeating the same lesson.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

In understand it's a full time occupation for you Bob :) but at the Hombu do you hold the classes 5 pm to 10 pm for example? Or do you have some in the morning and during the day? Most people work 9 to 5 so do you get many people attending these classes during the day? Also are these classes structured differently or are you repeating the same lesson.

The Hombu's hours are 8am - 10pm; classes run throughout those operating hours. "Most people" aren't the same as "Everyone", and this permits those students that aren't obligated to a 9am - 5pm work schedule. The Hombu's hours allow a very wide berth for all types of obligations to fit the Hombu's class schedule.

Also are these classes structured differently or are you repeating the same lesson?

If you're referring to the 4-5 age group, the answer is...structured differently. How so? Everything is amended/tailored to that age group, and I mean everything!! It's a known fact that students of this age group "play to learn"!! Everything must trickle down to them so as they're not so overwhelmed, as this age group is known to do. Experts say that the age of a child is to the length of their attention span...therefore, the amended/tailored class structure.

The Hombu's hours are 8am - 10pm; classes run throughout those operating hours. "Most people" aren't the same as "Everyone", and this permits those students that aren't obligated to a 9am - 5pm work schedule. The Hombu's hours allow a very wide berth for all types of obligations to fit the Hombu's class schedule.

Also are these classes structured differently or are you repeating the same lesson?

If you're referring to the 4-5 age group, the answer is...structured differently. How so? Everything is amended/tailored to that age group, and I mean everything!! It's a known fact that students of this age group "play to learn"!! Everything must trickle down to them so as they're not so overwhelmed, as this age group is known to do. Experts say that the age of a child is to the length of their attention span...therefore, the amended/tailored class structure.

Awesome ! Do students that start at this age have more belts before they reach junior black belt or once they reach a certain rank before black. Do they have to have that before they reach the age for junior black belt?

Teachers are always learning

Awesome ! Do students that start at this age have more belts before they reach junior black belt or once they reach a certain rank before black. Do they have to have that before they reach the age for junior black belt?

No...they do not have more belts!! Our ranking structure is the same for all students, no matter the age. Student only has to be before the age of 18 to be promoted to JBB.

Our classes have typically run an hour. With the busy lives most of our students have, its often hard for students to commit more than an hour of training time and still have time to do all the stuff at home, like homework and such for kids. We offer classes 3 days per week. Our Little Lions programs run 30 minute classes.

We have in the past had a few days per week we did 1.5 hour classes, and I really fealt like I could cover a lot more and get a lot more done.