• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Difference btw Shorin Ryu and Shorinkan

DavyKOTWF

Nakazato Shugoro Sensei is certainly a 10th degree, and he is 95, so I'm sure that's who your Sensei is talking about, but as Spartacus mentioned, he has largely retired. His son, Nakazato Minoru Sensei, was promoted to 10th degree and has taken over running the organization. So far, we have been quite happy with the direction that he is taking things.

Which direction is this/that?? If I might ask.

:)

He is being more open about teaching kata applications, and focusing more on having people perform kata based on application and not aesthetics.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Nakazato Shugoro Sensei is certainly a 10th degree, and he is 95, so I'm sure that's who your Sensei is talking about, but as Spartacus mentioned, he has largely retired. His son, Nakazato Minoru Sensei, was promoted to 10th degree and has taken over running the organization. So far, we have been quite happy with the direction that he is taking things.

Which direction is this/that?? If I might ask.

He is being more open about teaching kata applications, and focusing more on having people perform kata based on application and not aesthetics.

That is a breath of fresh air. So much of kata nowadays is so focused on winning tournaments as though I need to tell anyone that here lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Shorin Ryu is the general name for most of okinawan karate styles coming from Shuri area , so shorin ryu styles are Shuri-te. Shorinkan is one of the styles ( organizations) under Kobayashi ( Chosen Chibana style) .

Shuri-te >>> Shorin ryu >>>> Kobayashi Ryu (Chibana-ha)>>> Shorinkan (Nakazato).

as for the weapons, Shorinkan uses Matayoshi kobudo as well as Yamanni Kobudo. in contrast some of the shorin ryu styles don't practice weapons officially.

If recent memory is correct, within the "kobayashi" or Chibana branch of Shorin-ryu there are at least 5 perhaps as much as 8 "kan" or organizations founded by direct students and disciples of Chibana including Shorinkan. After Nakazoto Sr ceded to his son and retired a few years ago, further splintering occurred due to direct students of Nakazato Shugoro wanting to do their own thing for a variety of reasons known only to them.

The kata are the same throughout except for very minor details or interpretations. The training methods and focus may also slightly differ.

Ever have one of those mind numbing silly way off the base days?

Well, the difference between Shorin Ryu and Shorinkan IS...

They're spelled differently!!

I now redirect you back to the first sentence of this post.

The style IS Shorin Ryu Shorinkan...founded in 1975 by Shugoro Nakazato; a branch of Kobayashi Shorin-ryu...the style that Noah [Wastelander] trains in...so...

They're both the same thing; the one and the same thing.

**Proof is on the floor!!!