• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Difference btw Shorin Ryu and Shorinkan

DavyKOTWF

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I had the opportunity to work with 2 young Shorinkan black belts about 15 years ago, and what they were doing is very similar to what Shorin Ryu does. IMO it's a solid system with little or none of the garbage you see in a lot of systems these days.

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please..feel free to stand in front of them.

Student since January 1975---4th Dan, retired due to non-martial arts related injuries.

Thanks Montana - cool that you experienced that.

I just finished some more searching on it,

and it seems ryu means 'school' or 'way' or 'dragon' where as 'kan' means

house. So still, maybe the same thing???

Be Water My Friend

I'm a Shorinkan member, for what it's worth. Shorinkan is an organization that teaches the (Kobayashi) Shorin-Ryu passed down from Chibana Chosin. It isn't really a style, unto itself, although Nakazato Shugoro added a few things to the curriculum.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

The best way to understand this question is that Shorin ryu is a "family" of styles. The "ryu" refered to here means "current, style". All Shorin styles originate with Sokon Matsumura.

There are 3 main styles in this family: shobayashi, kobayashi and matsubayashi. "Kobayashi" is Chosin Chibana's style as he learned it from Itosu, who had learned it from Matsumura and several other teachers. When Chibana died in 1969, his senior students each started their own "Schools" with a different name.

Shorinkan is Shugoro Nakazato's association/school with his interpretation of what Chibana taught. There are at least 3 or 4 other schools founded by students of Chibana.

Thanks all. I just got back from this 'new to me' school.

Yep, sensei said it was Kobayashi !

He also said the grand master or something now, is an about 95 year old man, who he hopes to meet next month in Japan. He may have said his name but it went over my head...That must have been Nakazato like ya'll said.

I did catch, I think he was 10th degree??!!! Was I mistaken hearing that?

Be Water My Friend

Nakazato Shugoro Sensei is certainly a 10th degree, and he is 95, so I'm sure that's who your Sensei is talking about, but as Spartacus mentioned, he has largely retired. His son, Nakazato Minoru Sensei, was promoted to 10th degree and has taken over running the organization. So far, we have been quite happy with the direction that he is taking things.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Nakazato Shugoro Sensei is certainly a 10th degree, and he is 95, so I'm sure that's who your Sensei is talking about, but as Spartacus mentioned, he has largely retired. His son, Nakazato Minoru Sensei, was promoted to 10th degree and has taken over running the organization. So far, we have been quite happy with the direction that he is taking things.

Which direction is this/that?? If I might ask.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!