• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Mirror, Mirror On The Wall...

...How Do I Look?

A full-view mirror is found to be extremely useful in observing and correcting your form while practicing the various techniques.

Like the floor, the mirror doesn't blink, and the mirror doesn't lie; the truth is right before you eyes.

I consider it one of the most primary equipment's that I have in the dojo; so much so that mirrors adorn both primary walls opposite of each other: North and South Walls.

Does your Hombu have mirrors?

Does your Dojo/Dojang/Etc. have mirrors?

I'm more than aware that not all schools of the MA have mirrors. They're not the most easily afforded piece of equipment to have. Trust me, I completely understand why one might not have any mirrors.

If you're in a location that you share, then having mirrors...wall mirrors especially...aren't an option per signed agreement between you and the landlord.

How valuable are mirrors in your training??

If you've no type of mirrors, how do you get around that, if at all??

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The value of mirrors as a training aid is truly undeniable. Nothing is more useful for self-observation as well as for an instructor to help students notice notice details and understand correct technique. Of course the ideal dojo has at least one wall section of mirrors, but even that can be expensive to have installed. A single large wall mirror, however, ought to be affordable and is a worthwhile investment for any dojo. Often, wall mirrors can be found in used furniture store and similar outlets. Some are lucky enough to set up their school in a facility that already has mirrors such as dance studios.

I specifically remember watching my Sensei demonstrate a move, and then watching myself in the mirror as I performed it myself. It definitely helped out so much because I could see if my shoulders were square, I could see if my hand was tight in the pocket. I could see the angle of my head blocks, my feet positioning, etc. if it didn't look the way my Sensei did it, I could see what part I was doing wrong.

I can't see any way of getting around this unless you have someone watching you and correcting you every step of the way. However, I'm definitely curious to know if there are any ideas that someone has in that scenario.

We have a section of a wall covered with mirrors, and they definitely have their benefits! That said, they can also be a distraction, particularly to younger students. I honestly wonder if it wouldn't be better to have the mirrors covered the majority of the time, and only uncover them for specific times to have the students check their form. When they can see the mirrors all the time, they can often be caught watching themselves just for entertainment, or perhaps narcissism.

Kishimoto-Di | 2014-Present | Sensei: Ulf Karlsson

Shorin-Ryu/Shinkoten Karate | 2010-Present: Yondan, Renshi | Sensei: Richard Poage (RIP), Jeff Allred (RIP)

Shuri-Ryu | 2006-2010: Sankyu | Sensei: Joey Johnston, Joe Walker (RIP)

Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera

Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

We have a section of a wall covered with mirrors, and they definitely have their benefits! That said, they can also be a distraction, particularly to younger students. I honestly wonder if it wouldn't be better to have the mirrors covered the majority of the time, and only uncover them for specific times to have the students check their form. When they can see the mirrors all the time, they can often be caught watching themselves just for entertainment, or perhaps narcissism.

Kids will be kids!!

Mirrors are an invaluable resource in the dojo, especially for beginners. I use them all the time during kihon and kata to make sure my posture is correct, I'm not over doing things or cutting things short, and I use my reflection as a target. Is my face punch at face level? Is my roundhouse kick's point of impact at my ribs? etc.

Mirrors were crucial when I was teaching kids (and when I assisted the other day). Kids' techniques are all over the place, as is their posture. I'd have the kids focus on their reflection as their target. A kid throwing a roundhouse kick in the air is looking god knows where and aiming at nothing. They've come close to kicking the next student in line beside them, or falling over due to a lack of balance, sometimes almost falling into the next student. When they're looking in the mirror and using themselves as a target, all that stuff gets corrected very quickly and effectively. At least it made a huge difference when I taught.

As effective as mirrors are, video is can be far better. You're not watching yourself; you're performing the way you should be. You can get different angles, and your view of yourself is the whole motion rather than mainly your start and finish.

Coach's Eye is a great app. Speed up, slow down, fast forward, rewind and draw on your video.

I always love to look in the mirror, sometime my body awareness is off and it is nice being able to see just how much I suck lol Video is useful as well. Personally I think you are correct mirror's are one of the best things to keep in a dojo.

OSU!

You've been in my school before, Bob, and you know it has mirrors. I do think they can be great training tools, but at times, they can be used overmuch, and cause more issues than they help.

I like to have students check things in the mirrors from time to time, so they can relate to some point I'm making in regards to technique, but I don't want them to get overly dependent on looking in the mirror to check their technique all the time. They need to develop that kinesthetic awareness, and so they have to wean themselves off the mirrors.

Another problem with the mirrors comes mainly from the kids, who like to watch themselves in the mirror while doing basics instead of focusing on the targets they are supposed to be striking. That is the main issue with kids, anyway.

But with all that said, the mirror can be a useful tool when evaluating technique, by an experienced practitioner who knows what they are looking for.

Great thing about mirrors and the CI is...

...the CI decides if they're a help or a hindrance to their students...

...if mirrors help, they stay, and if not, they go/are never hung...

...that's for sure, imho!!