• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Who is the most influential martial artist of our era?

Mas Oyama :)

In MT circles, perhaps Buakaw.... He was for a long time a very dangerous fighter.

I know you say it with the smiley at the end, but I believe Mas Oyama is the most influential after the founding fathers' generation...

Each IKO (how many are there now, 5?) claims several million karateka

Then add the numbers from the following well known international Kyokushin offshoots:

Seido Juku

Seidokaikan

Ashihara

Enshin

World Oyama

Daido Juku

Kudo

Zendokai

Then there's independent Kyokushin dojos. Then there's local offshoots (a former Kyokushin or offshoot karateka starts his/her own school without using the Kyokushin name, and a few of his/her senior students do too).

Then there are the schools that don't have an Oyama lineage, but changed the way they did kumite once Kyokushin started gaining popularity.

IMO, after the founders, more karateka can most likely trace their lineage back to Mas Oyama than any other person. Perhaps being a Seido Juku student, I'm a bit biased. Maybe there is/was another Funakoshi student who stayed Shotokan that can rival Oyama's numbers?

Based on numbers (anecdotal, not actually counted), I'd have to say the Gracies with BJJ. If you limit it to the last 20ish years, Gracies, hands down. The last 50ish years, Oyama.

Great post :)

Could you not argue by the same reasoning that some of the early TKD pioneers were just as influential; how many schools (even McDojo's) claim some training in it?

No doubt about TKD's popularity. But was there a single person during your or my lifetime who came in and changed things up, and influenced millions to do the same?

I don't know TKD enough to point to an individual person who broke the mold. TKD is easily the most popular MA in my neck of the woods.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you not argue by the same reasoning that some of the early TKD pioneers were just as influential; how many schools (even McDojo's) claim some training in it?

No doubt about TKD's popularity. But was there a single person during your or my lifetime who came in and changed things up, and influenced millions to do the same?

I don't know TKD enough to point to an individual person who broke the mold. TKD is easily the most popular MA in my neck of the woods.

TKD officially turned 60 last year, it's younger than most martial arts. I would say Gen. Choi Hong Hi definitely was influential, he is generally regarded as the Father of TKD. He championed the Oh Do Kwan which was the Korean military division, and made a concerted effort to send his instructors out across the world to teach TKD. He specifically took a team of 12 masters around the world to demo the style. The team included other influencials like GM Rhee Ki Ha (father of British TKD), C.K Choi (Canada TKD), Park Jong Tae (Canada TKD), Park Jong Soo (various European countries, then Canada), etc.

I would also choose Kim Un-Yong. First president of the WTF and played a big part in spreading it worldwide and getting it into the Olympics.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

TKD officially turned 60 last year, it's younger than most martial arts. I would say Gen. Choi Hong Hi definitely was influential, he is generally regarded as the Father of TKD. He championed the Oh Do Kwan which was the Korean military division, and made a concerted effort to send his instructors out across the world to teach TKD. He specifically took a team of 12 masters around the world to demo the style. The team included other influencials like GM Rhee Ki Ha (father of British TKD), C.K Choi (Canada TKD), Park Jong Tae (Canada TKD), Park Jong Soo (various European countries, then Canada), etc.

I would also choose Kim Un-Yong. First president of the WTF and played a big part in spreading it worldwide and getting it into the Olympics.

How'd you rate Jhoon Rhee??

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

For TKD, in the last 50 years, my list is the following in no particular order.

General CHOI (ITF & Oh Do Kwan founder)

Dr. Un Yong KIM (1st President of Kukkiwon & WTF. Got TKD into the Olympics)

H.U. LEE (ATA head)

Designers of Tae Guek Poomsae with their Kwan affiliations:

1) KWAK Kun Sik (Chung Do Kwan)

2) LEE Yong Sup (Song Moo Kwan)

3) PARK Hae Man (Chung Do Kwan)

4) HYUN Jong Myung (Oh Do Kwan)

5) KIM Soon Bae (Chang Moo Kwan)

6) LEE Chong Woo (Jidokwan)

7) BAE Young Ki (Jidokwan)

8) HAN Yong Tae (Moo Duk Kwan)

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

• 8 months later...
Tony Jaa has my vote.

Not disagreeing but how do you see him to be influential? In the spread of Muay Thai through his films?

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

Tony Jaa has my vote.

Not disagreeing but how do you see him to be influential? In the spread of Muay Thai through his films?

I see nothing mediocre about Tony Jaa's martial art skills, empty handed or with weapons.

I don't have a narrow minded view of his abilities solely with Muay Thai Boxing. He has most certainly shown his mastery with a great variety of MA styles and weapons.

I like and appreciate how he combines MA with gymnastics and contemporary hip hop moves; very original.

Is the most influential choice based on how one person feels??

OR

Is the most influential choice based on how a group feels??

OR

Is the most influential choice based on how the masses feels??

:idea:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Is the most influential choice based on how one person feels??

OR

Is the most influential choice based on how a group feels??

OR

Is the most influential choice based on how the masses feels??

:idea:

Tony Jaa was a stuntman for 14 years, making other martial artist look good.

He was a stuntman in one of the hit movies of Mortal Kombat, again making another martial artist look good.

He became a Buddhist monk for a time as most male men do this humbling experience in Thailand. How many martial artist would lower themselves low enough to beg for food on the streets, while being as talented as he is?

I don't care with due respect, which masses or if one person considers Tony Jaa influential; between me and Jackie Chan; that's two sure votes.