• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Knee Over Pressure Pass

As we left the side position and a paper cutter choke sequence, we moved into more guard passing. Here, we discuss breaking the guard from a kneeling position and conducting a knee over pass:

So, how does everyone else break guard? Deal with the movement to open guard? Use combat base?

• 2 weeks later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I've had trouble breaking guard, because I always end up leaving the arm and letting myself get triangled.

I saw the very beginning the way you pressured back, but then did you just use you elbows to pressure the pass? I did like the method you used here, and getting to side control is better than getting to the mount. I also like the combat base, which would be a good fit for the DT aspect of teaching a guard pass.

I learned a stacking guard pass in Royce's system in which you posture up onto your feet, and pressure in on them and try to close the knees inwards, but we use punches or palm strikes to the face to break the guard, then backstroke an arm to pass into side control. Nice for DT purposes, but not for general rolling in our club, where we don't hit each other.

Thanks for the video. I'd love to see a breakdown on the guard pass, and any variations. I'm sure you've already shown them, so I just need to surf a little.

I've had trouble breaking guard, because I always end up leaving the arm and letting myself get triangled.

I saw the very beginning the way you pressured back, but then did you just use you elbows to pressure the pass? I did like the method you used here, and getting to side control is better than getting to the mount. I also like the combat base, which would be a good fit for the DT aspect of teaching a guard pass.

I learned a stacking guard pass in Royce's system in which you posture up onto your feet, and pressure in on them and try to close the knees inwards, but we use punches or palm strikes to the face to break the guard, then backstroke an arm to pass into side control. Nice for DT purposes, but not for general rolling in our club, where we don't hit each other.

Thanks for the video. I'd love to see a breakdown on the guard pass, and any variations. I'm sure you've already shown them, so I just need to surf a little.

Thank you, Brian. We don't use the elbows to pressure to the inside of the quads. We work to generate leverage. The elbows to the quads works in practice because no one wants to grind it out against the nerve pain just in practice. In competition or SD, everyone will. It builds a false sense of effectiveness. What I'm looking to do is build enough leverage to break without relying on a questionable pain compliance.

That's what I try to do, too. I just have a hard time making it work. What I your go to guard pass?

Hands down the over/under pass:

Despite some detractors, if you understand pressure and isolation it's tough to beat.