• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Degree in martial arts studies?!

My understanding is that many fortune 500 and 100 companies prefer job candidates that have a degree over those who don't possess a degree. Why? Those with a degree are teachable, while those without a degree aren't.

So, I don't possess a degree, I guess I'm stupid?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I feel so good about myself, as well as my possibilities.

:)

The sad truth is, many years ago we bought into the lie of "work smart, not hard." Which has meant, " go to college instead of "settling for" some "menial job." As a result, those who work with the hands as well as their heads, are looked down upon. So much so, that a bachelors degree is now considered to be what a high school diploma used to be 40 years ago.

The problem with devaluing trade school & working with one's hands is not only that we are devaluing people & work, but it actually handcuffing those who are more educated. By that I mean, many of those with more education will not know how things really work, and how to make simple repairs themselves. We, as a society, are shooting ourselves in the foot by not valuing other ways of learning & working apart from college.

Being a good fighter is One thing. Being a good person is Everything. Kevin "Superkick" McClinton

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My understanding is that many fortune 500 and 100 companies prefer job candidates that have a degree over those who don't possess a degree. Why? Those with a degree are teachable, while those without a degree aren't.

So, I don't possess a degree, I guess I'm stupid?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I feel so good about myself, as well as my possibilities.

The sad truth is, many years ago we bought into the lie of "work smart, not hard." Which has meant, " go to college instead of "settling for" some "menial job." As a result, those who work with the hands as well as their heads, are looked down upon. So much so, that a bachelors degree is now considered to be what a high school diploma used to be 40 years ago.

The problem with devaluing trade school & working with one's hands is not only that we are devaluing people & work, but it actually handcuffing those who are more educated. By that I mean, many of those with more education will not know how things really work, and how to make simple repairs themselves. We, as a society, are shooting ourselves in the foot by not valuing other ways of learning & working apart from college.

Solid post!!

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Even after devaluing the trades and putting a degree on a pedestal we are now even telling kids that it does not matter what you study. We are putting soft sciences (________ Studies) on equal footing with hard science degrees (STEM). We need to train our kids to look ahead and consider the economics of their degree. Study what interests you, be an artist or musician but put food on the table first. Take care of your family first.

How many tradesmen have their own successful business or work for one. An electrician or plumber can make a damn good living. And the training is much cheaper.

The bar is being raised even in "Professional" fields. A physical therapist used to need just a B S. Now they need an MS and soon to be Doctorate.

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know." ~ Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

Thanks for all the posts. This IS an accredited university. The degree is real. Stuck on whether I should take business or phys Ed with it though.

Both, if possible! However, I'd select taking business over PhysEd, but only if you're wanting to run a school. If not, then PhysEd would compliment the major quite well.

Imho!

You don't need a business degree to run a small business. Just take a few of the basics. Accounting I and II, Business Law I and II. Marketing, and a professional writing course or advanced grammar (even this is not necessary, but could prove useful). Try getting into nursing and working in sports medicine, or orthopedics. Good paying, in demand jobs, and you can start with a 2 year degree from a community college for lower entry cost. Many hospitals will pay for you to go to get a 4 year nursing degree after you are already working for them. Then side gig Martial Arts. Maybe teach in a dojo as a fun side job. I work with many people who do this. If you found a degree similar to Phys Ed but a more medical focus then you have a larger pool of employment opportunities. Just some thoughts.

I see my and later generations being sold into mountains of debt for hollow promises.

Side gigging in a Dojo would provide valuable real world experience which is much better than classroom theory. If you were in an medical/exercise related field skills would transition easily.

If you are into business go into accounting. Break the stereotype and be a combat accountant. :)

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

Thanks for all the posts. This IS an accredited university. The degree is real. Stuck on whether I should take business or phys Ed with it though.

Both, if possible! However, I'd select taking business over PhysEd, but only if you're wanting to run a school. If not, then PhysEd would compliment the major quite well.

Imho!

You don't need a business degree to run a small business. Just take a few of the basics. Accounting I and II, Business Law I and II. Marketing, and a professional writing course or advanced grammar (even this is not necessary, but could prove useful). Try getting into nursing and working in sports medicine, or orthopedics. Good paying, in demand jobs, and you can start with a 2 year degree from a community college for lower entry cost. Many hospitals will pay for you to go to get a 4 year nursing degree after you are already working for them. Then side gig Martial Arts. Maybe teach in a dojo as a fun side job. I work with many people who do this. If you found a degree similar to Phys Ed but a more medical focus then you have a larger pool of employment opportunities. Just some thoughts.

I see my and later generations being sold into mountains of debt for hollow promises.

Side gigging in a Dojo would provide valuable real world experience which is much better than classroom theory. If you were in an medical/exercise related field skills would transition easily.

If you are into business go into accounting. Break the stereotype and be a combat accountant. :)

No, one doesn't need a business degree, or any degree for that fact, to operate a school of the MA.

I was only merely offering that as a suggestion of the two courses you had mentioned, and I do feel that we MAists kind of have the Phys Ed thing understood, especially as a MA instructor, whereas, not many, if any, schools of the MA teach Business 101...mine didn't/doesn't.

I realize you are not teaching business, but a couple of the basic classes woild not hurt in the running of the business.

I realize you are not teaching business, but a couple of the basic classes woild not hurt in the running of the business.

That's exactly what I did before I opened my first dojo. I thought it would help me, and it did, beyond what I learned from Soke and Dai-Soke as to the business side.