• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ways to make martial arts a career?

I would suggest in time to open a small fitness club specializing in burning calories while practicing none contact boxing and kickboxing. Targeted towards office workers that want to get into shape. Going to need his and hers showers/changing rooms and soap/towels. Also have for sale hand wraps and gloves. Have your students exercising, puching and kicking the bag to music. Keeping it upbeat, interesting and challenging. Start of with about ten bags. Keep it moving by having hourly classes; as many as you can assign people to in a day. All the best!

• 2 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
I know its UK focused but this is a great overview of what you can expect as a martial arts instructor from average salary to recommended requirements :

https://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/advice/planning/jobprofiles/Pages/martialartsinstructor.aspx

As alternatives to a dojo owner, have you considered the following :

- Law enforcement / security / military

- Health and fitness trainer or personal trainer

- Physical education teacher

- Martial Arts journalist or writer

- Martial Arts equipment supplier

- stunt performer

I'm sure there are a few other careers which would use the skillset too

Also exercise physiology, or physical therapist. I know they are not primarily martial arts focused, but either job would provide a good solid income while starting a business in martial arts, whether it be a supply store, or teaching in/owning a dojo. I think it would be a big marketing tool to be able to say the instructor is also a physical therapist or exercise physiologist. I almost suspect that if you (or your employee) could teach tai chi it could also help bring in a new clientele base. Middle age to older people looking to stay healthy and get low impact exercise. A lot of retirees who want to stay active have mornings (they are also not afraid to get up in the morning unlike us slackers :) ) and early afternoons free, while many working professionals or kids do not, and they also have disposable income.

Maybe I am being to business minded. Other people here have much more experience running a martial arts business than I. They would be in a better position to bounce ideas off of.

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know." ~ Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

I would suggest in time to open a small fitness club specializing in burning calories while practicing none contact boxing and kickboxing. Targeted towards office workers that want to get into shape. Going to need his and hers showers/changing rooms and soap/towels. Also have for sale hand wraps and gloves. Have your students exercising, puching and kicking the bag to music. Keeping it upbeat, interesting and challenging. Start of with about ten bags. Keep it moving by having hourly classes; as many as you can assign people to in a day. All the best!

I like this idea.

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know." ~ Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

Open your school to styles of the MA that AREN'T yours!! Invite them to use your school whenever your school is closed. Rent out the school for different occasions that aren't MA related whenever your school is closed. Of course, if you rent same said space, you might have to get permission from the landlord in writing to sub-lease, even if it's for one day/night.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!