• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Frequency of kicks in kata

Spartacus Maximus

If only the explicit kicks are considered, it would seem that most are mid-level to low target techniques. The front kick is by far the most frequent, followed closely by stomps aimed at the knee joint.

As Goju-ryu and Uechi-ryu seem to share a similar pattern, it appears to indicate that in all systems there is a marked simplicity as well as a similar ratio of upper to lower body usage for attacking and countering.

It would be interesting to hear more from Uechi ryu. Apparently this system has even less kicks overall than the other two original Okinawan systems. According to reliable source, it is supposedly a Southern Chinese system transplanted to Okinawa rather than one that is a melting pot of various influences.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
What is meant in entirety by "sweep the leg, no mercy" ??

I like 'sweep the leg' but the no mercy part sound like that blonde kid and his a--hole sensie in Karate Kid. Course depends on the situation I guess.

Anyway, what did/do you mean?

signed, sincerely asking, not condemning or judging

Edit: sorry Sparticus, didn't mean to derail thread. I'm taking my first classes

of Shorin Ryu and am excited. How do you pronounce btw, with L sound or R.

ShoLin Ryu or ShoRin Ryu? ( I read our style comes from Shaolin Temple style way back)_

A quote from Sensei John Kreese of the Cobra Kai. My warped sense of humor. It's been there for a while; I honestly forgot about it.