• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hello

LLLEARNER

• 6 months later...
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I thought a little update is in order. My Daughter is 5 years old. She is in a mixed class of adults and older kids. It is not a Little Dragons class specifically. She is graded and had has the same expectations of Little Dragons though. My intention when I started my Daughter in karate was that she be involved in something which rewarded effort. I have told her that if she follows sensei's instructions, and put in the effort her reward would reflect that.

My Daughter has earned a yellow stripe. She was so proud when she earned her yellow stripe. She came running up to me and said "I did the work!!!" She has gotten multiple compliments on how well she takes direction. She is learning the first half of her kata and has most of that portion down without direction. She does the grappling, sparring, and drills. She gets a little bored with the warm ups though. I do practice with her at home by making up games. Mawashi geri, and pivoting moves are difficult for her, but she is 5. She gets mounts and escapes well. One night when sensei was expressing his disappointment that none of the other students were confident enough to demonstrate a kata for the rest of the class she marched up front and center and showed her kicks and punches. We had not been taught our katas at that point. I was proud of her.

"Those who know don't talk. Those who talk don't know." ~ Lao-tzu, Tao Te Ching

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

I thought a little update is in order. My Daughter is 5 years old. She is in a mixed class of adults and older kids. It is not a Little Dragons class specifically. She is graded and had has the same expectations of Little Dragons though. My intention when I started my Daughter in karate was that she be involved in something which rewarded effort. I have told her that if she follows sensei's instructions, and put in the effort her reward would reflect that.

My Daughter has earned a yellow stripe. She was so proud when she earned her yellow stripe. She came running up to me and said "I did the work!!!" She has gotten multiple compliments on how well she takes direction. She is learning the first half of her kata and has most of that portion down without direction. She does the grappling, sparring, and drills. She gets a little bored with the warm ups though. I do practice with her at home by making up games. Mawashi geri, and pivoting moves are difficult for her, but she is 5. She gets mounts and escapes well. One night when sensei was expressing his disappointment that none of the other students were confident enough to demonstrate a kata for the rest of the class she marched up front and center and showed her kicks and punches. We had not been taught our katas at that point. I was proud of her.

Sounds to me that you're quite proud of her...as you should be!! The apple of your eye, and she's no preconceived notions about the MA, she just rocks the floor!!

Give her a high-five from me!!

:D

**Proof is on the floor!!!