• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

WTF to re-brand as WF Taekwondo

Agreed about the insurance issue. Even Olympic boxing requires the boxers to wear that protective headgear. Sparring without padding has the advantage of being as close as possible to the reality of physical conflict. It also allows the practicioner to feel correct techniques and develop proper movement unhindered.

On the other hand it is a high injury risk activity and requires one to be in complete control with the highest degree of concentration. It is cringe-worthy to imagine the kind of injuries that would result from a TKD match where one or both lacked adequate control.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Agreed about the insurance issue. Even Olympic boxing requires the boxers to wear that protective headgear. Sparring without padding has the advantage of being as close as possible to the reality of physical conflict. It also allows the practicioner to feel correct techniques and develop proper movement unhindered.

On the other hand it is a high injury risk activity and requires one to be in complete control with the highest degree of concentration. It is cringe-worthy to imagine the kind of injuries that would result from a TKD match where one or both lacked adequate control.

Actually Olympic boxing ditched the headgear after 2012 as they deemed it safer for the fighters. (Headgear was leading to more sub-concussive blows). Interestingly enough in the new events without the headgear there seems to be far more cuts and scraps to the face.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

I think TKD could make a better showing in the Olympics if they dropped the chest protectors. Then, strategies would change somewhat, and the matches would be much more interesting. If TKD did that, then I don't think they would have to worry about the idea of being replaced or removed.

Ooohhhh, I don't think insurance companies would like that at all.

:P

In the 90's, there was an Olympic style TKD pro league on ESPN without hogus, headgear or gloves. You can find them on Youtube. The best fight of the fights was a 120 lb fight between Hyon LEE vs. Danny KIM. I encourage all to look it up. :karate:

PRO TKD is what it was called, I believe. There were some good fights there.

I think TKD could make a better showing in the Olympics if they dropped the chest protectors. Then, strategies would change somewhat, and the matches would be much more interesting. If TKD did that, then I don't think they would have to worry about the idea of being replaced or removed.

Ooohhhh, I don't think insurance companies would like that at all.

:P

In the 90's, there was an Olympic style TKD pro league on ESPN without hogus, headgear or gloves. You can find them on Youtube. The best fight of the fights was a 120 lb fight between Hyon LEE vs. Danny KIM. I encourage all to look it up. :karate:

PRO TKD is what it was called, I believe. There were some good fights there.

Here I am wondering what happened to PRO TKD? Rage of the page or insurance companies put their foot down and said..."NO MORE!!"

:idea:

**Proof is on the floor!!!

ITF also started up a Pro TKD which ran a few years ago. Full contact but with gloves. Idea was to turn it into a spectator sport much like boxing or MMA and attract new fans.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

ITF also started up a Pro TKD which ran a few years ago. Full contact but with gloves. Idea was to turn it into a spectator sport much like boxing or MMA and attract new fans.

Aha...a PKA version...Kickboxing!

:D

**Proof is on the floor!!!

• 1 year later...

It looked like this thread could use an update. As many of you probably read, the re-branding happened last month!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Taekwondo

5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)