• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What % of Tang Soo Do is Katas?

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

It would make it much easier to help if the question was slightly more specific. What is meant by the question is not very clear as to the kind of answer.

The only possible answer is this: it depends on the school/instructor, not TSD itself. TSD does have system of forms, but these will be taught differently with different approaches and emphasis from one school to another.

Therefore it is impossible to give a single defenitive answer such as: TSD is X percent kata.

Agree with Spartacus Maximus, can be anywhere from (approx.) 1/3 to (almost) 100% (and your interpretation of what is the % of kata/forms).

I would say that our association (for example) is more on the 100% kata (or form) based, as our one steps (and sparring) are based on the applications of the forms (this includes punches, kicks, locks throws, etc), the basics are all movements that can be seen in the forms and of course the forms itself...

But as always, it is very dependant on the association and instructor and their implementation of the art.

And to be honest, it's the same with a lot of other arts & styles...

Tang Soo Do: 3rd Dan '18

Shotokan Karate: 2nd Dan '04

I'd guess it would be...

33% basics

33% forms

34% sparring

Like I said...I guess I suppose that this might be how TSD is. Can't learn forms or sparring without first learning the basics, thereafter, forms and sparring will fall into their own accordingly.

In short...I'm speculating, of course.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

If you take the curriculum from 10 schools of any single martial art I think you will see that although there are similarities, they all place a different importance on each set of techniques or Hyung (kata)! For the most part though I would say that TSD uses Hyung in a way that some systems like Tae Kwon Do don't. Because many TSD Hyung are derived from shotokan kata, they also follow the same practices of "application" of them. TKD doesn't typically have applications besides the obvious techniques you see, TSD calls this basic application. The advanced application as an example, is using a low block to free oneself from a wrist grab, and the basic application is the low block.

Because of this level of depth in TSD Hyung, it requires more focus then an art that does not ha e the same depth. It is in this way that TSD probably focuses on Hyung more then some systems in general, as does shotokan. This is of course called "Bunkai" or "practical application"!

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

In addition to the statement above I'd like to make a point. The overuse of kata/Hyung/poomse or in English "forms" is a big problem in my opinion. In some schools the practicing of forms often outweighs other important skill sets. Because of this I feel that there is a hindering of ability to grow to your full potential. As an instructor I find that forms have much value, and are an excellent testing source for rank certification because of their structure and ability to standardize. Many other things learned though or often more valuable then the tradition of performing expressionless Hyung. "For every thing, there is a season"! Schools that teach TSD Hyung with great emphasis on repetition and not of application or meaningful use for a deeper understanding are growing and I feel it's a big reason that many traditional martial arts students can't truly fight. I feel that the instructors themselves are perhaps even lacking the technical know-how to teach with this depth of understanding.

Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!

We are definitely on the same page of your 2nd statement Luther. Thanks for that honest reply.

I lived in Phx for 19 years. Is your school by any chance down there on 32nd St or Cave Creek Rd?

Best wishes to you.

Be Water My Friend

Hello all. Looking at TSD - can anyone tell me what % is katas?

thanks.

Forgive my oversight...

Welcome to KF, DavyKOTWF; glad that you're here!!

:bowofrespect:

Edited by sensei8

**Proof is on the floor!!!