• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

What is a martial hobbyist?

I'd train a couple hours per day if I could. Just like 99% (figuratively speaking, not literally) of the practitioners out there, I've got higher priorities. Putting food on the table, being a father, a husband, son, etc. all trump my MA training.

2 dojo sessions per week and 3-4 one hour heavy bag sessions per week is all I can afford to spend in MA training. And some weeks, I can't get that much in. Doesn't make me any less dedicated than someone who can easily spend more time. Spending a higher proportion of my "free time" than the next guy doesn't make me more dedicated either.

It's all about how serious you are when you train IMO and being consistent. Some people go through the motions, and some people "are in the moment."

I think the biggest determining factor is the reason for training, not the time spent. Some people train to bond with their kids. Some view it as group exercise. Some view it as a social club. Others view it as a status symbol. None are bad reasons (except the social status one IMO).

Just like some people are more dedicated to their jobs than others. I like what I do, but if I didn't need the paycheck, I'd find something better to do with my time. Doesn't make me a worse employee. I know several dedicated employees. Trust me when I say that doesn't make them better at their jobs than me.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I believe my sarcasm was lost in the text. Others have already defined quite well what it is used to mean as well. I really do not see any virtue in the terms existence; if your life does not regularly rely, or your livelihood does not rely, on your martial arts, then you are an amatuer and a hobbyist. Unless one is paid to practice, then you cannot escape that definition, no matter how much you train.

I do an hour of Hojo Undo a day, and two hours of Karate, and at least 20-30 minutes of Kobujutsu. I also teach twice a week, where I aim to participate in around 80% of what I ask my students to do. I put around 30 hours a week into training, but I am still no different than the person who gets to train only when they can get on the dojo floor.

I think what has happened is that it is a game of semantics; people are forgetting the distinction between passion and past-time. That for many of us the martial arts are a passion, a thing we can discipline ourselves to do daily, even on the days we really do not feel like it, and make the time to train. For others it is a past-time, something they do so as to be involved in something, but it does end at the dojo door, because that dojo time is all the time they can make.

Also, I think we also need to remember the original meaning of amateur; some one who does something for the love of it. It has only become some insult to a persons' skill in the modern world. I have met many amateurs of remarkable skill.

Martial arts hobbyist is an ugly term we have to get rid of, and an ugly example of a double standard. So long as someone is sincere in their effort, and what they are doing, that is what matters. It is a symptom of a very toxic idea that one's worth to others once they enter the world of martial arts is tied into how much they train, and whether they continue to train. It's a judgmental sentiment which I have seen used to bully people into committing time they really do not have to spare to be training, and continuing to train despite it really bringing them no joy anymore.

If a person is sincere about what they are doing, and put practice before all else; whether it's just doing their best to be at the dojo when they can, or being a fanatic, they are a Martial Artist to me and I am not going to label them.

R. Keith Williams

Looking to define ideas and categorize them is human nature and it is something everyone does. What causes most misunderstandings is that sometimes these defenitions and categories are very ambiguous and open to personal interpretation.

"Martial art hobbyist" is a concept or label that can be found in many discussions, but it always seems to mean something different to different people. In reality, as with all attempts to categorize, there are always exceptions that absolutely do not fit any label and must be considered apart in order to make sense.

For Me Martial Arts is not a hobby to me its my passion its what i like and i do it 3 times a week from 530 to 8 because 530 to 615 i teach then my karate class starts at 7 pm to 745 and ive been doing it for 2 years 6 months and im a green belt goin on 3rd degree Brown Belt and I love what i do

Hobby is like you go there 2 a month or so hahaha

I love kenpokarate

All in all, whether ones a hobbyist or not, at least the MA has been a part of their life, small or large; the journey won't be forgotten! If I might be bold, neither will what's been learnt forgotten...it's there...somewhere in the small recess of the mind...waiting for the time to be recalled whenever needed.

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

Perhaps they key factor in differentiating a serious practicioner from a hobbyist is, as seems to suggest this discussion, dedication and consistency in training. Whether it is everyday for hours or a few hours per week, the serious practicioner is one who is dedicated, consistant and has decided and managed to make martial arts a constant part of his/her life.