• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

How long before you felt proficient at your chosen MA?

The question needs more specifics such as proficient in what exactly? In basics techniques? In application of these? Proficiency in martial arts has different levels and depths each taking considerable time to reach. It is very difficult to answer for oneself because, as previously said, self-criticism is often inaccurate one way or the other.

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question needs more specifics such as proficient in what exactly? In basics techniques? In application of these? Proficiency in martial arts has different levels and depths each taking considerable time to reach. It is very difficult to answer for oneself because, as previously said, self-criticism is often inaccurate one way or the other.

As I said, I left it deliberately ambiguous as your own interpretation of the term is part of the answer too.

"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." ~ Confucius

As I said, I left it deliberately ambiguous as your own interpretation of the term is part of the answer too.

So, there's no right or wrong answer!?

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I thought I was starting to 'get' taekwondo during my last grading before black belt. I enjoyed it, I had physical power, and I thought I understood WHY. Some years later, I find that teaching adds a whole new level - you have the anxiety of being a beginner at something again, combined with developing a much deeper understanding of everything you've been taught.

I thought I was starting to 'get' taekwondo during my last grading before black belt. I enjoyed it, I had physical power, and I thought I understood WHY. Some years later, I find that teaching adds a whole new level - you have the anxiety of being a beginner at something again, combined with developing a much deeper understanding of everything you've been taught.

Solid post!!

:)

**Proof is on the floor!!!

I have to say I felt like I was half way good after my Shodan. It was the day I felt like I was moving as I should. Saying that there are still days when I feel like I am a white belt on my first night. OSU!!

I usually feel proficient, then I learn something new and realize how much I have yet to learn. Or I spar with someone out of the ordinary (like a person that usually isn't in the same classes as me), and realize I need to go back to the old drawing board.