• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Uraken or Kizami Tsuki?

Shotokannon

Hi Guys,

Someone at my Dojo told me the other day that Uraken (which I consider a stronger technique than a Kizami Tsuki) won't score a point in competition because it's not strong enough, but I sometimes find it to be a bit more flexible and depending on the application I believe it can be a very strong technique.

What's your opinion, do you prefer Uraken Uchi or Kizami Tsuki?

The only way Uraken would score is if you bring it right back to your ear and strike from there, Kizami Tsuki is a lot easier to score

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

uraken/backfist, for being similar to a hook punch, would have knockout power in a full contact fight if done not the "karate-way" (snapping/let the joint stop the technique) but trying to "go through" the target (like muay thai round kicks compared to karate/taekwondo round kicks). in real its the way stronger technique compared to a kizami zuki/jab so it should score in point fighting for being a potential knockout technique.

but (karate) point fighting is that much subjective and many don't know what really works or would have power that... well, you see the answer above.