Forms & Fighting

• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But some think that they should be applied exactly as is, and that is the goal behind them.

Ah, I see what you're getting at now. Yeah, these are the people that the "anti-kata" martial artists are usually holding up when making their points. Knowing the applications of the kata and being able to use them in variation is the most important thing, IMHO.

By the way, where exactly do you train in Winnipeg? I used to live there and am a bit curious.

But some think that they should be applied exactly as is, and that is the goal behind them.

Ah, I see what you're getting at now. Yeah, these are the people that the "anti-kata" martial artists are usually holding up when making their points. Knowing the applications of the kata and being able to use them in variation is the most important thing, IMHO.

No.. not quite anyway.

The techniques are what is important, but I don't see them as being learned through kata. Rather the techniques are learnt, and kata is a drill which helps in applying them thorugh stronger posture and mechanics.

Sort of like doing knuckle pushups will give your wrist a better structure for punching, same with kata but more complicated. The purpose of the pushup is not to teach you how to punch though.

By the way, where exactly do you train in Winnipeg? I used to live there and am a bit curious.

I'm near Kildonan Place.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

No.. not quite anyway.

The techniques are what is important, but I don't see them as being learned through kata. Rather the techniques are learnt, and kata is a drill which helps in applying them thorugh stronger posture and mechanics.

Sort of like doing knuckle pushups will give your wrist a better structure for punching, same with kata but more complicated. The purpose of the pushup is not to teach you how to punch though.

Ah, I see. That's a good way of interpereting kata, but couldn't the same affect be achieved through constant drilling? I look at kata as both a way of building stances, strenghtinging moves, and showing how to string together combinations as well as expressing the art.

I'm near Kildonan Place.

Oh, ok. I used to be up in Garden City.

No.. not quite anyway.

Ah, I see. That's a good way of interpereting kata, but couldn't the same affect be achieved through constant drilling?

Yes, but partners aren't always available, which method is more effective timewise is another issue, I don't know the answer to that one. But I believe kata are a useful drill.

I look at kata as both a way of building stances, strenghtinging moves, and showing how to string together combinations as well as expressing the art.

I agree to that.

I'm near Kildonan Place.

Oh, ok. I used to be up in Garden City.

Small world, I live in Garden City.

Andrew Green

http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!